Engine Cab Layout

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
All photos I can find only show the front window and console. What is behind the engineers? I assume there is a bathroom and maybe a place for one of the drivers to take a nap.

F900ElCapitan

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporter
Usually electronic cabinets and then the engine are behind. The restroom is usually up in the nose. Naps when permitted are done in the seats.

F900ElCapitan

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporter
I guess I was more thinking about freight locomotives for restroom placement. Looks like these have the lav behind the cab, cool!

Last edited:

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
Just a knob. No key. The knob is not even on the console. How would you like to lift the hood of your car to start the engine?

Steve4031

Engineer
AU Supporter
I was once riding the Texas Eagle and listening to the scanner. Apparently there was only one engineer in that trip. He told the dispatcher that he needed to stop the train so he could use the bathroom. This occurred between Joliet and Dwight.

• Wow
Reactions: Cal

John819

Train Attendant
AU Supporter
Question - as the diesel engine on the P32AC-DM is started while the train is moving, is that done from the engineer's console?

Cal

Foamer
I was once riding the Texas Eagle and listening to the scanner. Apparently there was only one engineer in that trip. He told the dispatcher that he needed to stop the train so he could use the bathroom. This occurred between Joliet and Dwight.
I always wondered what happens if an engineer who is alone in the cab needs to use the restroom.

Last edited: