Engine fire

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These P42s are just lighting up nowadays. What's this, the third in that last few months? :help:
How is Amtrak doing right now in terms of its roster of P40/42DCs? Getting by, or scraping by? When these locos burn or have grade crossing accidents, does insurance always pay for the rebuilds provided they're recoverable? Between the fires and accidents, I sometimes worry that the long distance routes will eventually cease to have enough Genesis locos to support the LD network (?).

I just read an article in Trains magazine about the "rebirth" of EMD and how under Caterpillar they stand ready to make a solid run at GE and even perhaps grab the next Amtrak order for diesels. If stack fires continue to be the norm in the aging 42s, that could them a good leg up.

I just read an article in Trains magazine about the "rebirth" of EMD and how under Caterpillar they stand ready to make a solid run at GE and even perhaps grab the next Amtrak order for diesels. If stack fires continue to be the norm in the aging 42s, that could them a good leg up.

Yes, I read it too. Found it interesting that they've gone so far as to buy a facility to build locomotives in the US, the speculation was that was to build passenger locomotives, which have to be built domestically under "buy America." Must think they have a pretty strong case to start building a plant before they have an order. Of course, I suppose if GE provides good repairs/financial compensation for the fires and other relibility issues, I could see Amtrak ordering GEs again. Politics will be sure to play a role, too.

Going through earlier engine fire threads, it appears as if over time oil builds up in the stack which can eventually be ignited by the heat of the exhaust. This sounds like a design flaw, but couldn't this be kept in check with a little preventative maintenance? Perhaps periodic degreasing/steam cleaning?

In any case, I certainly agree with Tumbleweed. If there's going to be an engine fire I'd rather be on a train than a airplane. (But then I'd rather be on a train than an airplane anyway!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back