Engineer question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, one of my Metra conductors told me that engineer have to know the platform lengths of the stations on the lines they work. I'm gonna guess this is also true for Amtrak? Thanks

From an engineer friend:
"We know what fits where and where to spot the engine based on what we have. Some places Off Corridor will spot up for a smaller platform, but we’ve got spots for longer platforms. Example, at one station I stop at a pallet with an 8 car set, and a light pole with 9."

I know the conductors will spot the trains at NRK (Newark, DE) because it has low level platforms which uses boardwalks to get from the platforms to the train's doors. I imagine the engineers, with practice, find something to aim for as they slow down but still listen to the conductor for when to stop.

Has an engineer ever over or under shot a platform? Also which stations would you say have notoriously short platforms? Thanks

Why doesn't Amtrak where allowed place permaent markers for stops . Engineers would then only have to know how many units are preceeding the revenue cars and could adjust for bag cars in front or not in front? It is definitely harder for trains than for subways.

Why doesn't Amtrak where allowed place permaent markers for stops . Engineers would then only have to know how many units are preceeding the revenue cars and could adjust for bag cars in front or not in front? It is definitely harder for trains than for subways.
The number of revenue cars is not consistent, as we well know.
I know on the NEC they have E signs at some stations. Those signs are for a specific # of cars in a consist. The NERs and LD trains run with varying # of cars.

Regarding Metra, numerous platforms on the system (particularly at older/legacy stations or along elevated embankments where platform lengths might be limited by what fits in between viaducts at intersecting streets) can not accommodate the entire length of a longer train. It's important, therefore, for conductors to know and inform passengers that only the two rear cars (for instance) will allow boardings and alightments at this station or the three forward cars at another. Of course, train lengths vary. So, I can see why knowing platform length is important. On a long rush hour train, perhaps passengers must walk to another car. While on a shorter midday train or a night train with a couple of cars closed, this isn't an issue at all.

On Amtrak, there may be a station platform which only accommodates one or two cars. But, there are typically few passengers and the conductor has notes as to where they're seated. So, a train can be spotted and passengers guided to appropriate doors more directly.

Regarding Metra, numerous platforms on the system (particularly at older/legacy stations or along elevated embankments where platform lengths might be limited by what fits in between viaducts at intersecting streets) can not accommodate the entire length of a longer train. It's important, therefore, for conductors to know and inform passengers that only the two rear cars (for instance) will allow boardings and alightments at this station or the three forward cars at another. Of course, train lengths vary. So, I can see why knowing platform length is important. On a long rush hour train, perhaps passengers must walk to another car. While on a shorter midday train or a night train with a couple of cars closed, this isn't an issue at all.

On Amtrak, there may be a station platform which only accommodates one or two cars. But, there are typically few passengers and the conductor has notes as to where they're seated. So, a train can be spotted and passengers guided to appropriate doors more directly.
Also common on the LIRR, but all stations have signs showing engineers where to spot the front of the train.
1666528860085.png1666528917781.png

I have de-trained multiple times this year at Ashland, VA (ASD) and it's a low-level platform, so the conductor has had to radio the engineer to tell him when to slow down and eventually stop.

The reason why the motor is ahead of the sign is because that sign is for an 8 car train. No one thought about a spot for 9 or even a 10 car train.
I realize that...it's actually useless for the trains I see stop at NRK. 152 was 10 cars this morning.

Not that common in many areas, but important to note that in the case of an EMU, or a push pull with a cab car, the front of the train may have passengers getting on and off, those need to stop on platform unless passengers are advised that at that station, certain cars may not be available for boarding/de training. See that on the LIRR quite a bit.

Here's the German solution. The 'H' signs for 'Haltetafel' shows where the head of a stopping train should be spotted. It's normally on the right, but there's one on the left in this photo. A supplementary train length sign is below the 'H' on the left-hand sign.

MAR 05 158.jpg

On the S-Bahn, signs mark the location of short 4-car trains for operators AND there are platform signs for customers. Further down the track are 'H' signs for 6 and 8-car trains.
P1050405 (3).JPG

(The non-electric line on the right was used in West Berlin by U.S. Army trains and a solid mail train through the Cold War.)

Last edited:
Spotting accurately is even more important for commuter railroads that have to align accessible coaches with raised humps in the platform. GO Transit uses signs on posts similar to those shown above, for example with 10 representing the cab car on a 10-car train, 12, etc., and L1 or L2 representing one or two locomotives.

The MBTA uses those numbered signs throughout its commuter rail system as well.

In the Amtrak system, there are some stations with really short platforms, and a few where the train simply stops at a grade crossing -- with one door opening to let people out onto the pavement of a crossing road. In those cases, I've always seen conductors guiding the engineer by radio.

And yes, engineers do sometimes overshoot the platform and have to back up. It doesn't happen often, though, as the crews know where the tricky spots are and anticipate them.

Last edited:
Back