Equipment used on Cascade Service to Vancouver BC (6/23)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay l had ridden the Talgos before but what equipment is now running from Seattle to Vancouver BC.
3 Horizon coaches and a Horizon Cafe/BC car on both train pairs, 516/519 SEA-VAC and 517/518 PDX-SEA-VAC.

The remaining Series 8 Talgos belong to Oregon and are kept on SEA-PDX-EUG trains, 500/505 at the moment.

3 Horizon coaches and a Horizon Cafe/BC car on both train pairs, 516/519 SEA-VAC and 517/518 PDX-SEA-VAC.

The remaining Series 8 Talgos belong to Oregon and are kept on SEA-PDX-EUG trains, 500/505 at the moment.
I should have asked about space for luggage if we are crossing the border. If I remember correctly some of those coaches do not have large luggage spaces for storeage?

I should have asked about space for luggage if we are crossing the border. If I remember correctly some of those coaches do not have large luggage spaces for storeage?
At least some of the Horizon Business Class cars don't have overhead racks. I was unlucky enough to have one of those my last trip to Vancouver. There was some space at the end of the car.

The Horizon coaches do have overhead racks and some car end storage.

Happily, the Cascades do handle checked baggage, unlike the Maple Leaf and Adirondack. I was glad I had checked my larger piece as I found there would not have been space for it once I boarded at Everett, the second stop out of Seattle.

PS, the Business Class on those Horizons is really, really crappy. It is not worth the substantial difference in price, which is pushed into higher buckets due to low capacity. On my next trip up, I booked coach. I did book BC on the return, not for the "amenities" but for the "line cutting" privileges it affords in Vancouver.

Last edited:
Back