Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

Am semi-retired and when I was traveling, occasionally used Amtrak when time permitted, Federal, Capitol Limited, Coast Starlight, Lake shore Limited, and did the Auto train to Sanford this past February, which was quite nice and the food was excellent!!!

Now that I have time...have been looking at the possibilities of taking a few more trips long distance Empire Builder etc..

Having said that, my recent interest in Amtrak has me shaking my head in alternating disbelief, anger, and laughter. Prices seem high....time no better than driving....and in some cases flying the night before with the cost of hotel less than taking the train.

However; I want to take a train trip. Looks like from what you read here, and I must say thanks for all the info!!, I am left wondering if there will be any equipment left to ride on????????????

Apparently, there must not be any insurance for any of the accidents??

If Amtrak uses the rails of the host, it appears to be at Amtrak's risk?? Based on what you hear and read about Acela, Bombardier doesn't sound like a reliable supplier for rail cars??? Who can supply cars, diners, sleepers, etc.???? I read about Beech Grove.....what equipment is there??? Does anyone know???

The above really are questions! I don't know if anyone out there has some of the answers.

I wanted to take the Federal to Washington and back--no sleepers.

Was considering the Lake Shoe Limited to chicago in november for Thanksgiving and wonder if there will be any sleepers left to put on the train at that time??

If I understand correctly, the budget has passed which is good I guess--unless the drain has been opened in the tub and it is useless--is it???

You hear good and bad about Gunn, bad management in the past???

Or was it bad expectations??

The equipment sitaution has been improving a good rate. So far, 22 wrecked Superliners have been rebuilt as well as the refurbishments of 11 Amfleets. Viewliner sleepers are being restored to the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited and the Cardinal. Still no word on when the Federal will get it's sleeper back, but it could sure use one. On top of that, small improvements like replacing carpeting and seat cushions has been made to over 100 coaches. So as far equipment, while on tight supply, it's certainly not deminishing.

Amtrak management was a mess before Gunn took over back in 2002. Since then he's fired almost 3000 middle (useless) managers. He has put Amtrak back into a a traditional railroad structure and is operating the railroad as a national system. Before Gunn, Amtrak was divided up into tp sperate operations, almost five different railroads under one roof if you want to think of it that way. There was the Northeast, Midwest, California, Pacific Northwest, and Intercity (long-distance trains). On-board crews have been improoving as well and I think they're in the midst of restoring a union contract.

So all in all Amtrak is improving and is a lot better off than it was 2 years ago.

Actually, from what I hear, the BOS section of the LSL is still a separate train in the timetable change, and a decision on whether that would be temporary hadn't been made yet. I don't if that's changed or not, but I hope the BOS section will regain its sleeper/thru cars.

One thing that caught my attention was your comments on Bombardier. Bombardier is a very reliable builder, these guys built the Superliner II's, (I'm pretty sure they also built the Horizons), the ill-fated Acelas, and one of the most succesful commuter cars ever built, that being the bi-level Coaches and their Cab Cars. Bombardier has built (and continues) to be one of the largest rail car builders in the world, and probably will be for some time. The reason the Acela's have chronic maintenence and price tag issues is because after the trains went to production Amtrak changed parts of the design, which is a recipe disaster, and that's what happened. Had Amtrak not changed the major components in the design there wouldn't be such chronic issues. Even if another builder like Talgo built the same design, the Acelas would still be flawed because Amtrak changed things in the middle of the game.

Interesting!! Mr. Gunn made no mention of that in his scathing remarks about the Acelas. Apparently the design changes were not made on his watch.

That is correct. Most of the Acela fiasco occured during the Warrington administration, with Gunn left to pick up the pieces.

battalion51 said:
That is correct. Most of the Acela fiasco occured during the Warrington administration, with Gunn left to pick up the pieces.
Literally, with the hazards on the yaw dampers which if they fell off en route could cause a derailment.

Viewliner said:
Actually, from what I hear, the BOS section of the LSL is still a separate train in the timetable change, and a decision on whether that would be temporary hadn't been made yet. I don't if that's changed or not, but I hope the BOS section will regain its sleeper/thru cars.
You heard right. At least for now, the Boston LSL will remain a shuttle and Amtrak will revisit this matter in the future. This has been confirmed from more than one source, so it's solid information.

That's not to say that the fickle minds at Amtrak couldn't still reverse the decision at the last minute, but I doubt that since it's very likely that the timetables went to print with the shuttle listed.

battalion51 said:
One thing that caught my attention was your comments on Bombardier. Bombardier is a very reliable builder, these guys built the Superliner II's, (I'm pretty sure they also built the Horizons), the ill-fated Acelas, and one of the most succesful commuter cars ever built, that being the bi-level Coaches and their Cab Cars. Bombardier has built (and continues) to be one of the largest rail car builders in the world, and probably will be for some time. The reason the Acela's have chronic maintenence and price tag issues is because after the trains went to production Amtrak changed parts of the design, which is a recipe disaster, and that's what happened. Had Amtrak not changed the major components in the design there wouldn't be such chronic issues. Even if another builder like Talgo built the same design, the Acelas would still be flawed because Amtrak changed things in the middle of the game.
I'd be a little careful in placing all the blame on Amtrak. I think that there were several issues that led to the Acela problems and the blame can be spread far and wide.

One can blame Congress for not giving Amtrak enough money, forcing them to do things on the cheap. That meant not bringing the corridor up to high speed standards. It also meant changing the cost specs for the trains perhaps leading to cheaper parts than should have been used.

Bombardier does share some blame, after all it was their bracket that failed. Additionally Bombardier is doing the maintenance on the trains, not Amtrak. Bombardier was also probably lowballed on the cost of these trains, which are unique and they can't sell to any other RR in the world. So that may have led them to cut a few corners.

Next some of the blame falls on the FRA for their incredibly tough safety standards that they imposed on Amtrak. This alone led to a few of the design changes. Additionally this is one, though not the only reason, that Amtrak could not just buy already tested trains.

Finally of course, there is no doubt that some blame does belong with Amtrak and the Warrington era especially. But again to say that it is only Amtrak's fault is not a fair statement.

After all, if it was Amtrak's fault, then Bombardier would have never settled the law suit out of court. I'm sure that they know a few things that would have burned them had this matter gone to trial.

Alan,

Thanks for the info.--this is certainly a learning experience--some good --some understandable--and some of the actions or decisions lack basic street smarts. One would think that such a high visibility project would command more common sense than was excerised here! Talk about asleep at the switch!!

Actually, the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited is scheduled to resume thru-car operation, complete with Viewliner sleeper, on 07MAY04. The reservation system shows it that way anyway.

railman said:
Actually, the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited is scheduled to resume thru-car operation, complete with Viewliner sleeper, on 07MAY04. The reservation system shows it that way anyway.
Yes it does. Very interesting, since this flies in the face of several things that I've seen from very reliable sources.

Many times the Reservations system is not updated til late in the game because what Amtrak's doing usually changes from one day to the next.

I caught part of Gunn's interview on the radio this a.m. He's sticking to his story of "fix it up" and no more service cuts. We'll see.

battalion51 said:
Bombardier has built (and continues) to be one of the largest rail car builders in the world, and probably will be for some time.
Bombardier had a first quarter announcement that the corp is laying off more than 6,000 workers, most in its RR division.

That's mainly due to a few quarters of flat revenue.

Here's one story:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stor...tml?jst=s_rs_hl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back