EUG-VAC Cascades possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AC4400

Lead Service Attendant
Although published as EUG-VAC, Amtrak Cascades doesn't have a single train that travels between EUG and VAC without a thruway bus connection. Is it because of the number of hours, or maintenance, or changing crew, or funding, or passenger need?

I think it's a bit of all of the above. One could theoretically extend 513 and 516, but that would require crew changes, restocking, and so on, all of which would cost more money than WSDOT and ODOT are probably willing to spend. It would probably be a better use of funds to provide train connections between VAC, the EB and the CS.

There is apparently very little demand for travel between points south of PDX and points north of SEA. To a certain extent this is a chicken-egg thing because the need to book a bus connection would naturally suppress demand. A single-seat ride would certainly stimulate more traffic. But as CHamilton said, this is probably a case of resources better used in other ways. Up until a few years ago, you couldn't even book a single-seat ride from PDX-VAC, so at least that's possible now.

… would require crew changes, restocking, and so on, all of which would cost more money ...
And maybe add time-keeping concerns? The Seattle-Portland Cascades currently post a lousy 73% for On Time Performance.

Washington State got about a Billion of Stimulus funds for the on-going upgrades to the route, promising to improve things to get an 88% OTP. But tacking on another 120 miles or so Portland-Eugene would mean another 120 miles of opportunity for things to go wrong.

Still, with two round-trip frequencies to be added Seattle-Portland about a year and a half from now, I'd hope to see a Cascades thru train Eugene-Portland-Seattle with no transfer required. Vancouver, B.C., tho, seems rather a reach, until another Billion has been invested in the route(s).

I'm very optimistic about ridership growth on the Cascades. The subject was discussed recently at

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/63683-oregon-cascades-budget-cuts/page-2?hl=%20oregon%20%20cascades

Still, with two round-trip frequencies to be added Seattle-Portland about a year and a half from now, I'd hope to see a Cascades thru train Eugene-Portland-Seattle with no transfer required.
In addition to those that currently exist, that is. There are currently two daily northbound EUG-PDX-SEA through trains and one daily southbound through train. (in addition to the Coast Starlight, of course)

Still, with two round-trip frequencies to be added Seattle-Portland about a year and a half from now, I'd hope to see a Cascades thru train Eugene-Portland-Seattle with no transfer required.
In addition to those that currently exist, that is. There are currently two daily northbound EUG-PDX-SEA through trains and one daily southbound through train. (in addition to the Coast Starlight, of course)
I really miss the 509 SEA-PDX-EUG through train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back