Ever Wondered what Viewliner 8400 Looks like

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ate there. On a trip back in 1996 New York to Chicago it was assigned to the Lake Shore Ltd., and I recall having breakfast on it as we stopped in Toledo.

Superliner Diner said:
I ate there. On a trip back in 1996 New York to Chicago it was assigned to the Lake Shore Ltd., and I recall having breakfast on it as we stopped in Toledo.
I envy you, I'd kill to ride in it, or even see it in person. I've already seen (not to mention photograph) 62091.

Whats your opinion of it, and also a description? Was it in Phase III Paint?

Thats why you should always have a Camera and Film with you when you take the train.

Did you notice that according to the caption, the photographer took that photo in January 2001. I wonder where he found that car and with the tables set for dinner. Last I knew that car had been out of service for longer than a year.

I've read trip reports as late as 2000 where the proto diner was being used. I think it was in part service up until the end of 2001 where Beech Grove just gave up in trying to get the car to work. The car looks nice and very open just the brown curtains and seats are a little out of style.

Amfleet said:
I've read trip reports as late as 2000 where the proto diner was being used. I think it was in part service up until the end of 2001 where Beech Grove just gave up in trying to get the car to work. The car looks nice and very open just the brown curtains and seats are a little out of style.
Maybe it should get a Temoinsa Rebuild, after all there are two of those kits available.

Actually it really couldn't get a Temoinsa rebuild. Remember the Viewliner diner has different demensions than a Heritage diner. The kits are specifically made for the Heritage diners.

we had that on the rear of 91 about 9 months ago. showed on the manifest it was deadhead new york to hialeah. rode in it WAS-RVR. this was the last time i have seen it.

ryan

Amfleet said:
Actually it really couldn't get a Temoinsa rebuild. Remember the Viewliner diner has different demensions than a Heritage diner. The kits are specifically made for the Heritage diners.
Okay, maybe not with the current kits, but maybe one could be specially made, after all it could solve 8400's current problems.

Not exactly. I remember Joe saying the car had really bad AC and would need a whole new system which could cost a lot of money. Still if it got a rebuild some of the features and parts would be different than the other 25 heritage diners which would make for difficult matainence. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea I just think the money is worth it.

Viewliner said:
Superliner Diner said:
I ate there.  On a trip back in 1996 New York to Chicago it was assigned to the Lake Shore Ltd., and I recall having breakfast on it as we stopped in Toledo.
I envy you, I'd kill to ride in it, or even see it in person. I've already seen (not to mention photograph) 62091.

Thats why you should always have a Camera and Film with you when you take the train.
I probably should have photographed it. I did have a camera with me, as I was on vacation to the Midwest, and in fact did photograph the St. Louis Arch and other landmarks on the same trip. But truth is, I didn't. My son was a lot younger then (4 years old in 1996) and stopping to shoot photos was not as easy as it is now that he is 10+.

Honestly, I cannot give a good description, as it's been six years. I remembered realizing what I was seeing while we were eating breakfast.

Superliner Diner said:
Viewliner said:
Superliner Diner said:
I ate there.  On a trip back in 1996 New York to Chicago it was assigned to the Lake Shore Ltd., and I recall having breakfast on it as we stopped in Toledo.

I probably should have photographed it. I did have a camera with me, as I was on vacation to the Midwest, and in fact did photograph the St. Louis Arch and other landmarks on the same trip. But truth is, I didn't. My son was a lot younger then (4 years old in 1996) and stopping to shoot photos was not as easy as it is now that he is 10+.

Honestly, I cannot give a good description, as it's been six years. I remembered realizing what I was seeing while we were eating breakfast.
Did you enjoy it more than the Heritage Diners?

WOW!

I pity y'all who live back east!!!

I'd NEVER move back!!!

NOTHING beats the old CZ domes thru the Rockies.

My girlfriend and I are looking at a couple of Business cars, open platform observations. We're thinking of buying one and renting it out, while living on it as attendants. She used to own a caboose, and I used to be a dining car waiter...Hmmmmmmmm, it's really tempting!!!

WoodenMike said:
WOW!
I pity y'all who live back east!!!

I'd NEVER move back!!!

NOTHING beats the old CZ domes thru the Rockies.

My girlfriend and I are looking at a couple of Business cars, open platform observations. We're thinking of buying one and renting it out, while living on it as attendants. She used to own a caboose, and I used to be a dining car waiter...Hmmmmmmmm, it's really tempting!!!
Sounds nice, I'd love to have the money one day to buy the prototype Viewliners and have them for personal use.

Doh! Sorry!

As with censorship issues...(wink), I guess I just figured we're all adults here and that anyone with enough brains and funding to venture into buying a railcar would be aware of the expense and certification involved.

Here's some more information that explains it...

Free Railcar Advice

Very good point, Viewliner!

WoodenMike said:
Doh! Sorry!
As with censorship issues...(wink), I guess I just figured we're all adults here and that anyone with enough brains and funding to venture into buying a railcar would be aware of the expense and certification involved.

Here's some more information that explains it...

Free Railcar Advice

Very good point, Viewliner!
What do you mean?

I hope that answers your question!!!

Just being a smart (CENSORED) for a laugh.

Just because I'm a Minister doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humor!

Viewliner said:
Superliner Diner said:
Viewliner said:
Superliner Diner said:

Did you enjoy it more than the Heritage Diners?
Yes, but mainly anything newer looks nicer.

Wooden Mike, First let me welcome you aboard, also...I have noticed you joined this forum a few days ago. You mentioned open platform observatio n cars.. I would call your attention to a forum I opened awhile back(scroll to page 5) about Observation cars. You might find it interesting.

Thank's Bill!

Will check it out!!!

Must have benn a real (CENSORED) riding 'em through the Moffat Tunnel behind steam!!!

Looks nice, although it would take a little cash and some elbow grease to fix up the lounge. Maybe a paint job too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back