Ex-Amtrak 'Ocean View' Dome Car Parked in West Virginia (as of 3/17/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
As of this morning (3/17/21), ex-Amtrak Great Dome "Ocean View" is parked in the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Yards in Ridgely, West Virginia (just across the Potomac River from Cumberland, MD).

It was purchased by Paxrail and is on loan to the WMSRR.

I do not think a formal announcement has been made yet about this.

I first was alerted to this because a friend who owns some cars -- also on lease to the WMSRR -- posted a video of his cars a few months back... and the Great Dome was sitting in the background. As soon as I commented about the dome car bring out there and being in the background of his video, he quickly took it down. Others who were out there for a special event kept saying "no comment" when asked about the dome car being out there. All of that raised suspicions. We were a few hours away this morning -- but I decided to make the drive over there to see what I can see. It was hard to see the way it was parked too... but you could see it attached to a caboose and a baggage car from the public highway.

20210315_140425.jpghttp://www.rtabern.com/20210315_140425.jpg

I'm glad I was able to ride this car on one of its last runs on the Downeaster, which I could have been on it from Albany-Montreal, but it's better than having never ridden it.

I never managed to get a ride in the ocean view when it was on Amtrak. Oh well, I’ve ridden in other full length domes and I got several rides in PPC’s so I won’t cry too much.

Odd that it ended up at WMSR. That place has made some of the strangest decisions...

You know, I think the view from a Sightseer lounge is better.

Well, the Sightseer Lounge has a lot more window per area of wall, so it's nicer in that way. But of course it's not an option on the Adirondack or most of the other eastern routes. It also doesn't allow a view forward or back, so you can't get a perspective like this (sorry, it was raining that day):

IMG_0116.jpg

The SSL cars don’t get the credit they deserve. They are a fantastic design.
I seems like it's a design they could adapt for single level cars, too. This would allow SSL's to operate out of New York Penn, which might be an attraction for the Lake Shore Limited and Cardinal, at least, plus the Vermonter, Adirondack, Ethan Allen, and Pennsylvanian also traverse some pretty scenic territory.

I seems like it's a design they could adapt for single level cars, too. This would allow SSL's to operate out of New York Penn, which might be an attraction for the Lake Shore Limited and Cardinal, at least, plus the Vermonter, Adirondack, Ethan Allen, and Pennsylvanian also traverse some pretty scenic territory.
That would be quite interesting to see.

That would be quite interesting to see.

They should have ordered single level domes from Colorado Railcar while they were still in business....

(Photo from Wikipedia)
A706D6D9-2273-4664-B20A-7347D6B8515E.jpeg

You mean like this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=via...AgSEAE&biw=2400&bih=1171#imgrc=FngotSXDDIYWiM
Oh, I see crescent - zephyr already posted...

Back