Ex GN Great Dome heading east on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gn2276

Service Attendant
The ex GN 1394 Prairie View now named Scenic View will be on the rear of the east bound EB leaving Seattle on 9/11/13. It is painted in the IC colors of the Iowa Pacific.

The ex GN 1394 Prairie View now named Scenic View will be on the rear of the east bound EB leaving Seattle on 9/11/13. It is painted in the IC colors of the Iowa Pacific.
When did it become the Scenic View? I rode in SLRG 1394 this past May. It had just been restored and repainted and was still called the Prairie View.

SLRG 1394 Prairie View and SLRG 511 Scenic View are two different full length dome cars owned by Iowa Pacific. Prairie View is a Great Dome painted in a Great Northern scheme while Scenic View is painted in Illinois Central colors.

Last edited by a moderator:

There she be! Thanks Ryan! :hi:

Also I need to say "Pardon my very rude and bad manners :ph34r: ," but I should have said in my above post that NorthCoastHiawatha was also riding in the Prairie View on the same excursion in May. He was great company and I learned a lot from him, as his knowledge of things 'foam' related in the Pacific Northwest is vast. :hi:

That raises an interesting question....

Since the original number and name of the 6 GN full dome lounges were:

1390-Glacier View
1391-Ocean View
1392-Mountain View
1393-Lake View
1394-Prairie View
1395-River View
(CB&Q)

and we know that Lake View was scrapped by SP....

So which of Mountain View or River View has been rechristened Scenic View?

Ocean View is with Amtrak and Glacier View is owned by BNSF. It was traded by Amtrak to BN in exchange for a bunch of baggage cars!

That raises an interesting question....

Since the original number and name of the 6 GN full dome lounges were:

1390-Glacier View

1391-Ocean View

1392-Mountain View

1393-Lake View

1394-Prairie View

1395-River View (CB&Q)

and we know that Lake View was scrapped by SP....

So which of Mountain View or River View has been rechristened Scenic View?

Ocean View is with Amtrak and Glacier View is owned by BNSF. It was traded by Amtrak to BN in exchange for a bunch of baggage cars!
Scenic View is an ex-Santa Fe full length dome, which I think they called Super Domes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back