Exchanges/Rescheduling a Non-Refundable Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozark Southern

Lead Service Attendant
My family and I are planning an Amtrak trip soon, and we've already bought the tickets. We'll be going on the MORR, and we used the 20% off coupon that renders the tickets non-refundable. Well, a situation came up, and we thought we'd have to reschedule the trip. Fortunately, it looks like we'll be able to make it after all. My question is, though, is it possible to exchange a non-refundable ticket such as the discounted MORR for a different date on the same train between the same cities, or is there a penalty involved?

Generally most non-refundable tickets are exchangable, but you have to look at the terms and conditions to be sure. I have seen a few special fares that didn't allow exchanges either.

Can you receive a refund on a nonrefundable reserved coach, (NY-PHIL) (cost$36.00) ticket if you can not use the ticket?

Can you receive a refund on a nonrefundable reserved coach, (NY-PHIL) (cost$36.00) ticket if you can not use the ticket?
That $36 NYP-PHL fare is the non-refundable EO8N special fare. If you have a printed Amtrak ticket already, there is no way to get a refund... exchange only. On the other hand, if that ticket has not been printed, you can call up with your reservation number to request a full refund.

Back in the day you could sometimes exchange a non-refundable airfare ticket for a new refundable ticket at increased cost and then simply cancel the new ticket and get your money back. It doesn't seem to be possible to do that sort of thing anymore on most airlines, but maybe on Amtrak it's still possible?

My boyfriend has a printed ticket from Kentucky to Illinois 11/06. Unfortunately the trip must be postponed. I know the ticket is good for 1 year and non refundable and if the fare changes (increase) he must pay the difference. My question is how far in advance once a new date is established should we call to make the new reservation.

Thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back