Expired passport- no other I.d.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I board Amtrak with temporary N.M. state issued I'd?
Does it include a photo? Should be fine if it does provided it's not expired. Otherwise you might need a second non-photo ID.

I think it's been established that most of the time ID isn't requested to board a train. I've never been asked for ID when my tickets were checked. I have been asked for ID when I requested a paper ticket this morning at a ticket window. I had a reservation number and just preferred a paper ticket, along with a daily parking permit. I know I could have used Quik-Trak, but I wanted a little variety. The tickets printed at the ticket windows are different. They're trimmed by a cutter instead of pulled apart at the perforation. They use a 1D barcode instead of a PDF417 matrix code. They have a beefier font. Also - they seem to be aligned better. My AGR number is always printed across a line on the ticket stock.
Gosh! You seem to be quite a ticket connoisseur! :D I had never noticed all this, perhaps mostly because I seldom print out a ticket at Amtrak facilities any more.
There's a lot of waiting at the station and I've got an app that reads barcodes and matrix codes. I also prefer a paper ticket if I can help it. I got bored once and figured out that QT machines will scan a code from my phone or any ticket and allow a new ticket to be printed, and apparently it's all formats that Amtrak uses. As for the paper tickets, I'll just put it out for the conductor to scan without having to prep my phone.

I've also figured out that multiple segments on a ticket will disappear as you use up the segments once the ticket is reprinted. I've had four segment trips printed on two "coupons" and then I got a reprint at QT after every segment. The used segments don't show up on reprints.

I was thinking of maybe trying this at a ticket window, but I'm guessing that the agent might accuse me of wasting time and resources. I've bought a ticket once on a train, and in that case the conductor yelled at me for wasting his time since I answered (when asked) that I usually buy my tickets online or using the Amtrak app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back