Expiring eVoucher options?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johanna

Service Attendant
Last year, just as the big C was turning the world upside-down, I cancelled an Amtrak trip I was due to take for work. I was left with a nonrefundable eVoucher, with the plan that I would use it for personal travel later in the year. Well, that didn't happen, and now I have an eVoucher that expires tomorrow.

I've asked my employer to reimburse me, since it was a business expense to begin with, but they want me to call up Amtrak and ask for an extension. Before I try that, I thought I'd ask: Has anyone had any success with such a thing?

I know I can just book a random ticket for 11 months from now and change it later once I figure out when and where I want to travel, but I'd rather not throw more good money after bad, especially since I also have 80K+ AGR points burning a hole in my pocket.

It never hurts to call and ask. Ask specifically for a customer relations agent. They have the power to bend the rules when it comes to tickets and funds. Normal reservation agents (the first person you’ll likely talk to) usually cannot. I’ve asked politely and recovered funds for a train that I missed before. Sometimes all it takes is to explain the situation and be polite! I’ve always had good experiences with this kind of situation. I bet they’ll be willing to extend it for you.

I read this thread, and was reminded (thanks!) that I had a voucher I received last year. It had expired the month before. I figured, what have I got to lose, except a few minutes time, by calling Amtrak Customer Relations, so I did, and was pleasantly rewarded with a new voucher, with another year to use it.:)

Back