Extended Parking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone tell me about the extended parking at the Chicago Amtrak Station? Wondering about things like security and cost.
http://www.chicagounionstation.com/parking.html

It will be about $20 per day or so at Union Station. Security should be ok as long as you don't leave anything expensive in the car. Make sure you have all your proper inspection stickers, etc., at ANY public parking lot in Chicago, because the police troll those lots looking for people to ticket. Sometimes the lots downtown get full, especially if you go when there is a big happening downtown during the summer.

Another option is parking at one of the discount lots at O'Hare and then taking CTA to Union Station. There is valet service from the parking lots to the airport terminal where you can catch the CTA trains. Parking there is $8.75 per day with this coupon:

http://www.longtermparking.com/COUPONS/cpavistarord.htm

Directions on how to get from O'Hare to Union Station on CTA can be found here:

http://www.mrl.ucsb.edu/~yopopov/directions/ord-us.html

Last edited by a moderator:
OUCH!!! That would be $220.00

What about parking for about one hour to drop someone off or pick them up? Of course that would be assuming the train was on time on the return trip. Other wise they would be parking there for who know how long.

Last edited by a moderator:
what are inspection stickers. we don't have those here in michigan. is that for emissions.
In Illinois, they are registration stickers (I'm thinking of my former home in NJ that has inspection stickers). Also -- if you live in Chicago, you also have to have a city sticker.

If you are out of state, you should be ok.

What about hourly parking near the station?
If you're talking about city streets, I would forget it. The City of Chicago gave it's franchise for street parking to an outside company earlier this year and it has become a massive headache for Mayor Daley. The new parking meters (which are supposed to take cash or credit card) have crapped out more often than Carter's got pills and just this week so many meters went down that the City stopped giving out parking tickets. I'd take Alicein's suggestion and park at O'Hare. :blink:

I'm sorry I was not clear on my question. I want to know about parking for someone taking us to the station and picking us up. What is available or would be the best option?

Hi,

There is meter parking at the back of the station on Clinton, with level access into the station from that side too.. can be easier as it avoids stairs found at the Canal side.

There is long term parking next to the station on Clinton.

If you put this into Google Maps: 318 S Clinton St, Chicago, IL, United States You can then zoom in, move the little yellow man to see the street view.

I guess a lot depends on what time of day you are being dropped and collected as to availability of parking meters.

If it were me, I would arrange to be dropped off and collected on Clinton.. with collection maybe you could just give the person a call on their cell phone when you are almost ready to be collected?

As Confuscius says, "The longest journey starts with a car parking problem"

Ed B)

Thanks I will Google the map. The EB leaves CHI 2:15PM if it is on time and on the return trip the CZ gets to CHI 3:50PM if it is on time. So both days it would be mid to late afternoon parking.

Unless you need help getting your luggage into the station, there should be no need for someone dropping you off to have to park. Especially since you have a sleeper, and should go to the Metropolitan Lounge for early boarding, where the driver will be unable to accompany you.

They have never taken Amtrak and they might just want to hang around a bit and see the train off was my thought. It might not be totally necessary for them to park but I am thinking about options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back