Extension cords and surge protectors

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radvlad

Train Attendant
Do the electrical outlets in the roomettes require a 2 prong or a 3 prong cord? I've looked at some pictures but I can't tell.

They are "three prong" which means they will take either 2 or three prongs cords, just like at home. ...I just use 2 prong household extension cords with three outlets for my chargers...less bulky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use this one. The plug does not stick out. It's long enough to reach anywhere I've ever needed it in a roomette. I am only using it for battery charging (laptop & phone), so I find a surge-protector to be unnecessary.

327244.jpg

One thing to be wary of is that different sleepers may have slightly different geometries surrounding those 3-contact receptacles (NEMA 5-15 or 5-20) which can interfere with some devices, such as this type of battery charger:

CanonCharger.jpg

If the receptacle is recessed too much such a device doesn't have enough "reach" to make contact. The type of plug shown on Oregon Pioneer's outlet strip may not work either with a recessed receptacle. Flush receptacles cause no problems.

If the receptacle is recessed too much such a device doesn't have enough "reach" to make contact. The type of plug shown on Oregon Pioneer's outlet strip may not work either with a recessed receptacle. Flush receptacles cause no problems.
I've had no trouble with that plug at all, on both superliners and viewliners, on the three coast-to-coast trips I've taken it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back