Family Bedroom discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadonatrain

Service Attendant
I think I can tell from the Amtrak description of the family bedroom but I’ll ask to be sure.

Are there two full length adult size beds on the “ground floor” or would one full size adult need to be “upstairs”. At our ages, that’s a non-starter for us. Same for the regular bedroom, unfortunately.

Ok, what I suspected. There goes that idea! However, since I’ve always believed you win by knowing what not to do, this is a win. Thx.

We found the family bedroom cheaper than the bedroom and two can sleep on a lower bed in the family bedroom very neatly. With the "L" kid bed set up you have almost a 9 foot long section and can sleep feet to feet with plenty of space. Just remember to stuff one of the extra pillows from the unused upper bunk in the crack formed at the junction of the L kid bed with the long bed, so that there is no failure of support discomfort there.

Are the windows in the family bedroom much smaller than those in the roomette or the bedroom? How does the family room compare ( plusses and minuses) to the bedroom for a 2 day trip? I've traveled many many times but never in a family room. Thanks

The main benefit of the family room (we've had one with children when they were younger and as a couple alone) is usually a lower cost for larger space. We've gotten one cheaper than a single roomette, which is hard to rationalize, and they're almost always cheaper than a bedroom. You give up personal bathroom and shower access however. On the other hand, it's fairly easy to tell when either are occupied.

There are windows on both sides and they are smaller than the standard, so this becomes a "wash" with a bedroom and its "sort-of" window on the hall side. I don't mind the lower level with its easy access to luggage and the door for fresh air at station stops. The balance is sometimes being forgotten or left to last for dining reservations (if they are still taken the same way). As seniors we're less comfortable with ladders, so usually share the lower bunk which seems larger than the one in a regular bedroom. (This may be an illusion.) While our preference is for two roomettes across the hall from each other, which gives you two lower bunks and daytime access to both sides of the train, it has been increasingly difficult to get two in the same price bucket. This frequently makes the family bedroom a relative bargain.

It's best suited for a single night, so not sure how I'd feel about the Texas Eagle all the way to L.A. despite doing it with kids in the past.

The downsides compared with a bedroom are that you lose the private toilet and shower. And while I like being able to see out both sides, the windows definitely are smaller than those in a bedroom or roomette. I don't have the specs readily available, but they seem like about half the width. I think that's a net negative in my book. Also, the room is downstairs over the wheels at one end of the car, so you're more aware of it if the track is rough. If you're on the UP from LAX to Texas, you probably won't care, but if you're on the Chief across western Kansas, it might be bumpy night.

One plus is that, compared with the bedroom, the floor space seems vast when the beds are folded up. This is nice if you have kids who want to spread out a game or puzzle, and it also makes it easy to bring suitcases into the room and reorganize them. And in general, the room feels more spacious.

With the room being downstairs, you have to climb upstairs for every trip to diner or lounge, but you have easy access to step off at fresh air stops. Being at the end of the car, the room is relatively insulated from the sounds of people boarding, detraining and heading to the bathrooms, though you might be more aware of that at a major stop.

Last edited:
In this recent video the Grounded Life couple tell why they don't like family bedrooms:

Thanx for posting this. So refreshing to hear honest and straightforward commentary on one of Amtrak's accommodations -- the family bedroom -- including the small windows, the lack of en suite bathroom, the thin walls (lots of noise from neighbors), the end of the car noise from being over the wheels.

Much more informative than the usual glossing over of the unique problems posed by Amtrak's poorly thought out, way overpriced accommodations. I have never traveled in a family bedroom, and this video review confirms my suspicions about these rooms. Thanx again.

Thanx for posting this. So refreshing to hear honest and straightforward commentary on one of Amtrak's accommodations -- the family bedroom -- including the small windows, the lack of en suite bathroom, the thin walls (lots of noise from neighbors), the end of the car noise from being over the wheels.

Much more informative than the usual glossing over of the unique problems posed by Amtrak's poorly thought out, way overpriced accommodations. I have never traveled in a family bedroom, and this video review confirms my suspicions about these rooms. Thanx again.
These two are well-known for their objective reviews of Amtrak and other train travel. "Grounded Life" refers to their preference of trains over planes and although they love rail travel they tend to give a fairly honest review. Some of the info will be common knowledge for the informed members here, but it's still well worth subscribing to their updates if contemplating train travel.

For some, one of the attractions of train travel is viewing the scenery along the way. If that viewing is done from a sleeper occupied by two people, legroom between seats close to the window(s) and width of those windows could be important, as shown below.Superliner Sleeper Windows.jpg

Sleeper Kneespace.jpg

In this recent video the Grounded Life couple tell why they don't like family bedrooms:

Great link to a very useful and objective video review. We have traveled twice in the family bedroom with a grandchild. The first time was absolutely great for us; she was 18 months old and we brought a mini-crib/playpen on board, which fit fine when the beds were up, and gave her a safe place to nap and a play to corral her and, more importantly, her toys when she was awake. The second time it was our cheapest option, so we decided to give it a try, although she was nine years old at the time. No playpen that time, obviously! She barely fit in the child's bed, lengthwise, even though the bunk is 49 inches long. She didn't butt her head up at the top end of the bed, so had to scrunch up a bit to fit. Just be aware that the kid's beds are best for kids under four feet tall.

For some, one of the attractions of train travel is viewing the scenery along the way. If that viewing is done from a sleeper occupied by two people, legroom between seats close to the window(s) and width of those windows could be important, as shown below.View attachment 34087

View attachment 34088
Very informative, in regards to all type rooms. Easier to comprehend this aspect of different rooms with your pictures

The main benefit of the family room (we've had one with children when they were younger and as a couple alone) is usually a lower cost for larger space. We've gotten one cheaper than a single roomette, which is hard to rationalize, and they're almost always cheaper than a bedroom. You give up personal bathroom and shower access however. On the other hand, it's fairly easy to tell when either are occupied.

There are windows on both sides and they are smaller than the standard, so this becomes a "wash" with a bedroom and its "sort-of" window on the hall side. I don't mind the lower level with its easy access to luggage and the door for fresh air at station stops. The balance is sometimes being forgotten or left to last for dining reservations (if they are still taken the same way). As seniors we're less comfortable with ladders, so usually share the lower bunk which seems larger than the one in a regular bedroom. (This may be an illusion.) While our preference is for two roomettes across the hall from each other, which gives you two lower bunks and daytime access to both sides of the train, it has been increasingly difficult to get two in the same price bucket. This frequently makes the family bedroom a relative bargain.

It's best suited for a single night, so not sure how I'd feel about the Texas Eagle all the way to L.A. despite doing it with kids in the past.
We live in Dallas, so the Eagle is always our starting train. My daughter and Granddaughter and I get the Family BR as often as possible. BIG windows on BOTH sides of the train. I wash one window in Dallas and the other side in Mineola or Longview. The upper kids' bunk is great for storage. The lower kids' side makes a great comfortable day seat and I usually use it at night. Granddaughter grabs the upper as her territory, and we usually leave it down all day as well. The heads and shower 30' down the hall are less used, cleaner, and of course are only for First Class psgrs. Handy to baggage rack, quick access to the doors for smoke stops. We carry an extension cord with USB outlets, electric ice chest and a Keurig One Cup as a prophylactic against FLEX meals.
While the bedrooms upstairs are nice, the Family room is indeed cheaper and fits our needs well. The short walk to he heads is a small inconvenience indeed.
Two adults CAN sleep in the big bed downstairs, if they are really good friends. Two adults and 2 kids are about the limit, especially during the day. We generally have to call AMTRAK and get them to override something to book it, as the system will not book a Senior, an Adult and a 15 year old. I guess no one has been able to reprogram their Radio Shack Computer driven Rez system.
So give it a shot. You might find it suits your needs.

For some, one of the attractions of train travel is viewing the scenery along the way. If that viewing is done from a sleeper occupied by two people, legroom between seats close to the window(s) and width of those windows could be important, as shown below.View attachment 34087

View attachment 34088
Your shot of the family bedroom is a little misleading. That is the side which folds into the kid's lower bed. For daytime, you flip up the cushion on the right. The big couch spans the rest of the room, and he legroom against the other window is about the same, but you are not knocking knees.
The shot of the Bedroom includes the World's Most Uncomfortable Seat. Usually broken. As I am somewhat decrepit, we take what is called a "transfer chair". It's a very lightweight, foldable 4 wheeled chair and walking assist. It fits in place of that abomination and is quite comfortable. I use it when museumgoing.
The definitive information for sleeper floor plans is Craig Mashburn's excellent pages at Amtrak Car Diagrams @ CraigMashburn.com.

Why fix something that isn't broken. A Family B/R w 3 adults in berth config is not an allowable booking. It would be allowed only for day (non berth) They are not going to make it bookable online, people would book it mistakenly too often.

Why fix something that isn't broken. A Family B/R w 3 adults in berth config is not an allowable booking. It would be allowed only for day (non berth) They are not going to make it bookable online, people would book it mistakenly too often.
3 adults are allowable in either a bedroom or a family bedroom. That's based on 2 sharing the lower berth and 1 in the upper berth. It's just not supported by the online booking system. Maybe they want to warn people about the tight quarters in the lower berth before they book it. Page 47 of the following:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...rain-service-accounting-procedures-081219.pdf

Honestly, in looking at Chart 3, (berth, the more common use) it looks like I should check my reading prescription. Looks like 3 adults should be allowed, but I agree with you about the tightness warning.

Last edited:
The lower bunk in the family bedroom can be extended to well over 8' in length by setting down the lower "L" bunk as well. Stuff a pillow or a blanket in the crevice at the juncture of the "L" so that it feels like a continuous mattress and two adults can sleep feet to feet without ever bumping heads or even feeling cramped. I am 80YO, 6 feet and 190 lbs,. and my wife is 5'7" and we don't report her other numbers, but we are quite comfortable in a family BR feet to feet, which is way cheaper than two roomettes.

joelkfla

Thanks, what a great chart! Could you please provide the url for this? I tried to find info on berth dimensions on the Amtrakwebsite, but the pages I found just gave the room dimensions. This is the one for the family bedroom: Amtrak Family Bedroom

At one time the Amtrak website had a chart that did have the berth dimensions, but I believe it was actually inaccurate for the family bedroom; that chart said both adult berths are 2' x 6'2". However, the lower berth needs to be wider than the upper, because the family bedroom accommodates up to five people -- 2 friendly adults in the lower berth, another adult or taller child in the long upper berth, and 1 child in each of the shorter child's berths. Amtrak doesn't market the room for 5 anymore, I think because they got blowback from unhappy passengers who weren't planning on having to squeeze 2 adults into basically a 3/4 bed, but they will let you book 5 people into that room. Ditto for the deluxe bedroom; Amtrak markets it for "up to 2 adults" but you can book 3 people in that room because 2 people who are willing to cozy up can fit in the lower berth.

Laura

Thanks, what a great chart! Could you please provide the url for this? I tried to find info on berth dimensions on the Amtrakwebsite, but the pages I found just gave the room dimensions. This is the one for the family bedroom: Amtrak Family Bedroom
It's from the Amtrak Service Standards Manual, which is updated every couple of months and is available in PDF format on this page: Amtrak Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), under the "Other Materials" heading.

The Sleeping Accommodations diagrams are on the last 2 pages.

Note: The Family Bedroom diagram is completely wrong, but I think the dimensions are correct.

Last edited:
Back