Family Trip to EMY / San Francisco (?) or GPK

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any suggestions regarding the hotel locations below:

Courtyard San Francisco Downtown on 299 2nd Street

or

Courtyard Fisherman's Warf on 580 Beach Street

299 2nd street is a little cheaper, appears to be closer to multiple methods of public transport and is recommended by a friend (albeit one who travels without children).

Alcatraz was mentioned. I learned first hand that you need to book that pretty far in advance. I didn't and the closest date I could get would have had me staying in SF for a month!! Not a bad idea, but the boss and wallet didn't agree.
Definitely. We booked our ferry tickets in April, and our trip was in June.

As for clothing, I wore t-shirts during the day and then put a sweatshirt on at night. It wasn't too bad inland, but the closer we got to the water, the colder it got. A couple of times, I was shivering even in a sweatshirt. I think it was in the 70s during the day, but then it was in the high 50s at night.

No disrespect to Sarah's information as she is a terrific source of great info here, but please read up on the use of Uber (and Lyft) instead of getting a taxi. Perhaps other states are further ahead on this, but here in my state, Uber drivers are not regulated by any PUC as they are categorized right now as "Ride-share" service. Anyone that can produce a valid drivers license, proof of car insurance simply gets handed a cell phone from the company and that's it. ----no background check required, no company provided insurance. Currently there is a case that a Uber driver got into a car accident, but he personally isn't accepting any responsibility for insurance as he's saying he wouldn't have been at that location had the company not sent him. The company won't take any liability as they are arguing it falls on him. So without any regulation in place, this could get to be quite an ordeal if you have medical or property loss issue should you (heaven forbid) be in an accident while riding in a Uber associated vehicle. Just a FYI and YMMV. I'm not saying all are bad, I'm just saying to do your research first as it is so new to the market that liability isn't clear cut should something happen.

Just leaving CHI for SFC. Will post in trip reports as updates present themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back