Fantasy trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glensfallsse

Service Attendant
While I deal with the side effects from just having gotten my first shot ... and wishing I didn't know that the side effects are supposed to be worse after the second shot ... I've been cooking up an idea for a train trip around the nation. I'm on vacation during the second week of May, and perhaps a day or two into the next week. It would be very expensive to follow through on this fantasy, and I'm not at all sure I could spend this much time on a train, but ... maybe.

I would start from my home station of ALB, take the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, then the Empire Builder to Portland, then south on the Coast Starlight to LAX. Then return back, ideally using the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle route (I travel in a roommette). So, along those lines, if any of you are willing to help me out, a few questions:

1. I would have to stay overnight in L.A. The quarantine requirements look pretty stiff and I can't find any exceptions for vaccinated persons (unlike Chicago). Are there any exceptions for thru travelers? Does anyone who lives there know if there's talk of lifting this, or making exceptions for those who are inoculated?

2. Same for Portland, though I'm only there long enough to change trains, which I assume wouldn't be a problem.

3. Is there a way to do this all on one ticket? If not, I'd settle for one ticket there and one back from L.A., but I can't get the system to do that via the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle.

4. I saw an earlier thread about having to wear the mask even with the door closed. I believe the consensus was that nobody was too worried about what you did in the room, but can anybody who's traveled lately give me a update? I would not make this trip if there was any whiff of being forced to wear a mask with the door closed.

I might look toward the summer for this when conditions should be better, but it's probably going to be a lot more expensive, too. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited:
I have actually done that itinerary,but I started from Harrisburg and took the Keystones and Capitol Ltd to Chicago. You can probably book a through ticket to LA and change trains in Portland. If not,use the multi trip feature.

I've stayed in LA using the Metro Plaza. Being the Texas Eagle doesn't leave till 10 PM another option is staying in San Diego. You get to ride the Surfliner.

By late May traditional dining will be back on the Western trains. It certainly makes a three or four day trip much more palatable. You'll have long stops in Minot,Portland(to change trains,) Tucson,El Paso,Alpine,San Antonio ,Fort Worth and St Louis if your trains are on time.

A mask is required when walking the train or sitting in the sightseer car. I would imagine you can take it off in your room. That's a little extreme.

Forgot to mention there is no problem with quarantine traveling straight through. You get to use the Metropolitan Lounges in Chicago,Portland and LA. Just wear a mask outside of your room. I did this trip in January when the pedemic was worse. Again,try to book after May 24 when full dining returns and remember the Sunset/Eagle will still operate three days a week out of LA,Sunday,Wednesday and Friday.

It sounds like a great trip, if you have enough experience on Amtrak to know you won't go nuts.

1. I would have to stay overnight in L.A.
I'm sure you know this, but you need to time your connection so that you stay the number of days that you want. In other words, The Texas Eagle does not depart Los Angeles every day. I don't know if the Coast Starlight will be running every day in early May.

Having said that, I recommend that you follow your plan to stay overnight in Los Angeles. I have done it both ways (same day connection and staying overnight). One time I was yanked off the Coast Starlight in Sacramento because Amtrak believed it would miss the connection. (It did, but then Amtrak held the Texas Eagle one or two stops away for other passengers who had been on the Coast Starlight. There was a lot that went wrong, and I expect all future connections that I make will include an overnight in Los Angeles.
3. Is there a way to do this all on one ticket?
I don't know, but I would advise against it even if there is. Every place where you will stay overnight, I recommend starting a new ticket. Even places where you don't (like Chicago and Portland), I suggest you consider using separate tickets. This makes it much easier to change your plans or take advantage of a reduced fare. I believe once in years of riding I found one situation where using one ticket for two trains saved a few dollars, and many, many times where having separate ticket allowed me to save money, sometimes hundreds of dollars.

Have you ever been on the California Zephyr?

It’s my favorite Amtrak train for scenery and Sacramento is a better town for an overnight layover in my opinion. Just something to consider.

I’ve done a few trips like this, i highly recommend it. Lots of fun.

Have you ever been on the California Zephyr?

It’s my favorite Amtrak train for scenery and Sacramento is a better town for an overnight layover in my opinion. Just something to consider.

I’ve done a few trips like this, i highly recommend it. Lots of fun.
I have a couple of times, but haven't been on the Coast Starlight or the Sunset Limited, which is why I built the trip this way. Though it certainly is the hard way to do it.

I have a couple of times, but haven't been on the Coast Starlight or the Sunset Limited, which is why I built the trip this way. Though it certainly is the hard way to do it.

That makes sense. The Starlight and the Sunset Limited are both lovely trips as well.

I have taken the Sunset Ltd several times, when my in-laws used to winter in the Gulf Coast. I liked it! Cactus, javelinas, mesquite, the border right next to the train... all very novel and delightful to a northerner.

We have overnighted in both LA and SLO. San Luis Obispo is the furthest north you can stay and still catch a morning train to LAX, which makes the connection to the Sunset Ltd. With the curtailed schedules, the departure time from SLO is a horrific 4am (and now involves a bus to SBA), so somewhere between Santa Barbara and LAX would allow a more tolerable early afternoon departure, with time for dinner in LA. I don't know if being out of the city would have different quarantine requirements. It's worth considering.

I don't think you need to worry about quarantine in LA. I Iive in California and have stayed in a couple of motels during the pandemic. I have never been asked for any documentation of any sort. We are supposed to be limiting recreational travel to within 120 miles of home, I have been ignoring that for camping trips with no repercussions.

I have taken the Sunset Ltd several times, when my in-laws used to winter in the Gulf Coast. I liked it! Cactus, javelinas, mesquite, the border right next to the train... all very novel and delightful to a northerner.

We have overnighted in both LA and SLO. San Luis Obispo is the furthest north you can stay and still catch a morning train to LAX, which makes the connection to the Sunset Ltd. With the curtailed schedules, the departure time from SLO is a horrific 4am (and now involves a bus to SBA), so somewhere between Santa Barbara and LAX would allow a more tolerable early afternoon departure, with time for dinner in LA. I don't know if being out of the city would have different quarantine requirements. It's worth considering.
There is a 7AM direct Surfliner from.SLO to LAX. Done it several times to catch the Chief or Sunset. It's one of the few trains where business class is worth it

Don’t worry - you won’t have to wear your mask in your sleeper room - as long as you keep your door closed. You’ll always need to wear it when outside your room (except in the public shower or public restroom, of course.

I don't know, but I would advise against it even if there is. Every place where you will stay overnight, I recommend starting a new ticket. Even places where you don't (like Chicago and Portland), I suggest you consider using separate tickets. This makes it much easier to change your plans or take advantage of a reduced fare. I believe once in years of riding I found one situation where using one ticket for two trains saved a few dollars, and many, many times where having separate ticket allowed me to save money, sometimes hundreds of dollars.
I would definitely keep a single ticket on any segment where there is a same-day connection. For example, ALB->(LSL)->CHI->(EB)->POR as one ticket. If the LSL is delayed and you miss your EB connection, Amtrak will cancel your EB ticket as a no-show. If it is a single ticket, they will know you are on the LSL and will accommodate you somehow, either by holding the EB if the LSL is only a little late, or re-book you the next day on the EB or let you change to some alternate route (CZ to SAC, CS to POR?) Whatever, they will know you are there and will take care of you somehow. I believe they will pay for a hotel overnight if needed. Otherwise, if you know the train is late, you have to call Amtrak from the train and re-book your connection yourself, and you are on the hook for the hotel.

I've had no problems booking a multipoint trip on a single ticket. It might be slightly easier to modify one segment if you book it separately, but I've never had an issue with that.

I would definitely keep a single ticket on any segment where there is a same-day connection. For example, ALB->(LSL)->CHI->(EB)->POR as one ticket. If the LSL is delayed and you miss your EB connection, Amtrak will cancel your EB ticket as a no-show. If it is a single ticket, they will know you are on the LSL and will accommodate you somehow, either by holding the EB if the LSL is only a little late, or re-book you the next day on the EB or let you change to some alternate route (CZ to SAC, CS to POR?) Whatever, they will know you are there and will take care of you somehow. I believe they will pay for a hotel overnight if needed. Otherwise, if you know the train is late, you have to call Amtrak from the train and re-book your connection yourself, and you are on the hook for the hotel.

I've had no problems booking a multipoint trip on a single ticket. It might be slightly easier to modify one segment if you book it separately, but I've never had an issue with that.
I agree, its paid off numerous times in Chicago!!!

While I deal with the side effects from just having gotten my first shot ... and wishing I didn't know that the side effects are supposed to be worse after the second shot ...
I haven't, personally, heard of anyone having strong reactions to both shots. Most people have mild reactions to both. I had a weak reaction to the first and a very strong response to the 2nd. Some people have a strong reaction to the first and a minimal or weaker response to the 2nd. The explanation I've heard of this is that these people had some prior exposure to the virus so that their immune system was already primed and reacts strongly to the first shot. People like me had a naïve immune system so the first shot primed the system for the second at which the immune system pulled out all the stops to fight this thing.

There is a 7AM direct Surfliner from.SLO to LAX. Done it several times to catch the Chief or Sunset. It's one of the few trains where business class is worth it
Apparently not 7AM any more. We only see 6:11 AM on the schedule. But not to quibble - biz class is the way to go on that train. Just need to wake up early.

Back