Fare Penalty?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding these uncertain connections with #14/#11, if I am willing to pay for a night in LA or Portland to avoid bustitution, it seems I am penalized because the rail fare goes up. If I book the whole thing through from, say, St Louis to San Francisco risking the disconnect, the basic fare on the last leg on the Starlight is basically nothing though I probably will end up on the San Joaquin which ironically is a few dollars more. If I build in the cushion the fare for the last leg is the basic $50 PLUS the hotel. Have I got this right or am I missing something?

Also, if I get off in Denver for a short visit with my brother on the way from Chicago to Emeryville, the fare goes way up for the exact same mileage and service if I had done the through trip. Have I got that right too or am I hopefully missing something?

I'm actually doing these trips and will undoubtedly do more because of where I live so it matters.

Back