Farewell to the Queen of the Skies

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although most quad-jet fleets are facing accelerated retirements the option to fly an A340 is likely to expire faster than the B747 or A380, so he's a roster update/reminder for interested members...

My 747 history, best as I can remember:
You must have a photographic memory. Most of my flights were never logged and those that were never went beyond adding a new airline, aircraft, or airport to the list. As a result I can tell you what, where, and who I've flown, but I cannot recreate individual trips like that. Most of the time I don't mind keeping an abbreviated record but I've wracked my brain trying to remember how I ended up on a Fokker 100.

Last edited:
I wish large airlines with varied fleets would allow aviation enthusiasts an option to ensure they can travel on a specific aircraft. For instance, charge $50 to allow future rebooking/rerouting back to the original aircraft type if the equipment is swapped. Not every model and route would be covered but a few specific types and routes could be identified as "last chance" opportunities that promote the brand by inviting aviation fans to get their fix.

I had the Queen of the Skies fly over my house the other evening (I heard it but couldn't see it through the trees). In the screen shot, the nose of the plane is almost exactly over my home:

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 7.48.03 PM (2).jpeg

From FlightAware.com; for orientation, YYJ is Victoria, BC, on the tip of Vancouver Island and BLI is Bellingham, Washington.

Last edited:
I wish large airlines with varied fleets would allow aviation enthusiasts an option to ensure they can travel on a specific aircraft. For instance, charge $50 to allow future rebooking/rerouting back to the original aircraft type if the equipment is swapped. Not every model and route would be covered but a few specific types and routes could be identified as "last chance" opportunities that promote the brand by inviting aviation fans to get their fix.
This is a subject often discussed in another travel forum. Air Canada, in particular, has a habit of downsizing aircraft on fairly short notice, sending seating and other plans into confusion for all but the most seasoned travelers. Even they can find it frustrating and, like with Amtrak's sporadic removal of sleepers, it can be difficult to recover a similar space - let alone a similar aircraft.

Not far away from a flight on a European carrier and holding several DB reservations, I've been watching this situation nervously. So far not as bad as France, but I'll feel better if it gets resolved.
I'm wondering if my German neighbors are going to be able make their flight back to Germany this week.

Back