Favorite Amtrak Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also like Superliner sleepers better than Viewliners. I like being higher up and having separate restrooms. However, the Viewliners tend to be cleaner, which is nice.

Good point~ the Viewliner sleepers seem to look better after a once over. Perhaps because some are twenty years younger might be a good reason. The original Superliners were built mid-70's and the Viewliners in the mid 90's. I'll take Room H any day in the Viewliner except for being right next to the vestibule door which was one of the few design functions Amtrak hit a home run on for handicapped passengers.. Only way to beat it is to have bedrooms E and D on the Superliner with them enjoined en suite. My wallet isn't that deep. By the way, if Amtrak policy hasn't changed lately, you can buy the Accessible bedroom 15 days out if the car is sold out. Corrcect me if I'm wrong Rafi but here I go giving away my top secrets.

just for fun, i'll vote for the talgo coaches on the cascades. with the orientation of the seats and the tables at each end of the car, plus the monitors with maps of the journey(when movies aren't on)it is a makes for an enjoyable journey.

Good point~ the Viewliner sleepers seem to look better after a once over. Perhaps because some are twenty years younger might be a good reason. The original Superliners were built mid-70's and the Viewliners in the mid 90's. I'll take Room H any day in the Viewliner except for being right next to the vestibule door which was one of the few design functions Amtrak hit a home run on for handicapped passengers.. Only way to beat it is to have bedrooms E and D on the Superliner with them enjoined en suite. My wallet isn't that deep. By the way, if Amtrak policy hasn't changed lately, you can buy the Accessible bedroom 15 days out if the car is sold out. Corrcect me if I'm wrong Rafi but here I go giving away my top secrets.
Hah! Welcome to the club. You're correct about the being able to book the accessible bedroom 15 days out—that's still allowed as far as I know. I usually look to see if it's available as an on-board upgrade if I'm in a roomette and the deluxe rooms are sold out; I've had at least one conductor try to talk me out of it on a Superliner, but when I explained that I was a railfan and liked seeing out of both sides of the train, he pretty much figured, "okay, whatever, dude." <grin>

-Rafi

Any peice of heritage equipment works for me! I like the lounge setting with the cafe thing at one end, i still need photos of that to fully understand it. My other favorite heritage is probobly the former NP budd dome coach.

Corey

The best Amtrak cars were the California Zephyr Dome teardrop observation lounges. 3 of the CB&Q cars ran on various Amtrak trains in the early to late 70s, specially the NorthCoast Hiawatha which ran 3 days a week from Chicago to Seattle via the Twin Cities, Bismark, Billings and Spokane. The cars had a drawing room and 3 Double Bedrooms. The parlor type seats facing the rear were great for viewing the scenery as was the 24 seat dome that gave a complete all around view. I think these were the nicest cars ever built.

The club-dinnette cars now in service as business class with 2-1 seating and other "first class" features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back