Feather River by Zephyr -- There's Still Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p&sr

OBS Chief
Hello everybody. I heard on another post that the Zephyr will detour through the Feather River Canyon on August 30 and again on September 9 (both Eastbound and Westbound). Amtrak has posted a Service Alert to similar effect, announcing an "alternate route" between Roseville and Winnemucca for those dates, and that the Winnemucca stop will be temporarily moved to the U.P. Rail Yard there. Sounds like the Feather River Route to me.

Anyway, yesterday I tried booking such a trip, from California to Winnemucca or vice versa. Sad to say, trains in both directions for both dates were completely "sold out". Too many Railfans must have gotten there before me, I supposed.

Today, however, the situation is far better. Booking from California to Elko or vice versa works JUST FINE for both dates, in both directions. In other words, there is STILL a chance to book this Rare Mileage on the Zephyr. The notice about Trains being "sold out" was just a glitch in the system, because the normal Station in Winnemucca is being by-passed. Quite a different story altogether!

Anyway, if any of you are going, I'll probably see you there! Good Luck!

I was on this detour yesterday (westbound). It seems there are 3 more dates of re-routing.

The assistant conductor mentioned there were a total of 6, yesterday being the 3rd. The guide/docent who normally gets on at RNO (he got on our train at Portola, CA), told me what the remaining 3 were, but I can't recall them.

The CZ that went east and west did not detour today we go held up in Donner pass while they cleared the track for us very slow wish i went to the detour not only for the miles but the time save factor

Hello everybody. I heard on another post that the Zephyr will detour through the Feather River Canyon on August 30 and again on September 9 (both Eastbound and Westbound). Amtrak has posted a Service Alert to similar effect, announcing an "alternate route" between Roseville and Winnemucca for those dates, and that the Winnemucca stop will be temporarily moved to the U.P. Rail Yard there. Sounds like the Feather River Route to me.
Anyway, yesterday I tried booking such a trip, from California to Winnemucca or vice versa. Sad to say, trains in both directions for both dates were completely "sold out". Too many Railfans must have gotten there before me, I supposed.

Today, however, the situation is far better. Booking from California to Elko or vice versa works JUST FINE for both dates, in both directions. In other words, there is STILL a chance to book this Rare Mileage on the Zephyr. The notice about Trains being "sold out" was just a glitch in the system, because the normal Station in Winnemucca is being by-passed. Quite a different story altogether!

Anyway, if any of you are going, I'll probably see you there! Good Luck!
The Feather River Canyon route is beautifull

It was the original route of the CZ when it was placed in serice in 1949. I rode it several times way back when. And I have a nice framed picture of it in my apartment.

It is well worth the effort to book passage on it if and while you can.

It looks like Amtrak is still planning to use the Feather River detour for the California Zephyr tomorrow, Sept 9. Low-bucket Tickets are still available (if you book to a point like Elko that is not directly affected by the detour).

If anybody is going and would like some good Route information prior to the Trip, here are my recommendations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feather_River_Route

Good article about the Route, with a few photos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Wonders_of_..._Railroad_World

Good information about features of interest along the Route.

http://www.plumascounty.org/Tour%20Itinera...%20Tour%207.pdf

Driving tour describing features of RailRoad interest along the Route.

http://www.plumascounty.org/PDF/7Wonders.pdf

Tourist Pamphlet describing RailRoad features of interest along the Route. (Bring this one along on the Trip.)

Apparently these detours are caused by the track work going on over Donner Pass. Riding the CZ last week I saw a LOT of work in progress, and yeah, it was very slow going for long stretches. I have some shots of it, which will be linked to the upcoming trip report "California Zephyr Blues."

I've been banging my head against the wall with the CZ's OTP the last week or two. We had our final trip orientation last week and everyone is now learing how to use the "train status" part of the website or getting familiar with "Julie", so at church this weekend it was "it was like....6 hours late one day and 3 and 4 the rest of the time" :angry: So, I believe the train we will be boarding will depart EMY on 9/11, is the Feather River Detour that day? We depart at 4:47am on 9/13 from LNK. Having the #6 moderately on time will start our trip off on the right foot!!!!

Al

So, I believe the train we will be boarding will depart EMY on 9/11, is the Feather River Detour that day?
So far as I know, the last scheduled Feather River Detour for the Zephyr is tomorrow, Sept. 9. The Train leaving California on the 11th should take the regular route over Donner Pass.

Good luck with your Trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back