Ferries, Ferries, and still more Ferries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe this is just a Canadian thing, but when I once took a ferry from the New Brunswick mainland to Grand Manan Island, the deal was that it was a one-way tolling. When you boarded at Black's Habour on the mainland to go to the island, they didn't collect any money, but if you wanted to get off the Island, you had to pay before you could board. I was recently looking at the web sites for access to Prince Edward Island, and it seems it's the same thing. When you either drive across the Confederation Bridge or take the ferry at the other end of the island, no fares or tolls are collected. But when you want to leave the Island, you either have to pay a toll or a ferry fare. (By the way, it turns out the bridge toll is much less than the ferry fare, so the smart traveler will travel to PEI on the ferry and return to the mainland via the bridge.)

The only comparable situation I can think of is that of the crossings of the Hudson River south of Albany in New York. All of the tolls are eastbound only on every bridge and tunnel from the Bayonne Bridge to the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. Thus, the smart traveler can avoid a lot of tolls if the cross eastbound at, say, the Bear Mountain Bridge ($2.00 for toll-by-plate) and return via, say, the George Washington Bridge ($17.00 toll-by-plate). If you have EZ pass, the tolls are discounted.

Are there any other places where fares are charged on ferries for one-way only? It seems the CAT ferry between Bar Habor and Yarmouth charges fares in both directions. I think the Marine Atlantic ferries between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland also charge fares in both directions. But there are lots of other ferries in Canada. Do any others charge fares in only one direction?

Maybe this is just a Canadian thing, but when I once took a ferry from the New Brunswick mainland to Grand Manan Island, the deal was that it was a one-way tolling. When you boarded at Black's Habour on the mainland to go to the island, they didn't collect any money, but if you wanted to get off the Island, you had to pay before you could board. I was recently looking at the web sites for access to Prince Edward Island, and it seems it's the same thing. When you either drive across the Confederation Bridge or take the ferry at the other end of the island, no fares or tolls are collected. But when you want to leave the Island, you either have to pay a toll or a ferry fare. (By the way, it turns out the bridge toll is much less than the ferry fare, so the smart traveler will travel to PEI on the ferry and return to the mainland via the bridge.)

The only comparable situation I can think of is that of the crossings of the Hudson River south of Albany in New York. All of the tolls are eastbound only on every bridge and tunnel from the Bayonne Bridge to the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. Thus, the smart traveler can avoid a lot of tolls if the cross eastbound at, say, the Bear Mountain Bridge ($2.00 for toll-by-plate) and return via, say, the George Washington Bridge ($17.00 toll-by-plate). If you have EZ pass, the tolls are discounted.

Are there any other places where fares are charged on ferries for one-way only? It seems the CAT ferry between Bar Habor and Yarmouth charges fares in both directions. I think the Marine Atlantic ferries between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland also charge fares in both directions. But there are lots of other ferries in Canada. Do any others charge fares in only one direction?
When I rode the Bremerton-Seattle ferry back in 2017 tickets were only required for the trip departing Seattle.

I have found Canadian ferrys both in northwest, and the Atlantic Maritime to be very very reasonable and very memorable as well. Digby, Nova Scotia as terminus for the ferry that goes to New Brunswick is also the most wonderful way to begin a vacation in Nova Scotia - Go from Digby to Long Island to Brier Island. In 1973 it was $.25 per each trip right now it’s free. Sunsets and whale watches.

You can also travel to PEI by way of Caribou Nova Scotia two wood island PEI. oh, and that’s free to but is a first come first serve basis.

Driving up from the Boston area I try to stay away from toll roads, which is a lot slower, but richer - 1A, and 1B and Route 1 worth discovering the DownEaster State.

As far as the northwest, that was awesome too. As I remember, going back about 25 years, the USA. ferry prices were about double from Seattle to Vancouver Island, compared to Vancouver to Vancouver island. And the difference just about paid for the three day car rental from Seattle to Vancouver

This year would be the 50th anniversary of my Nova Scotia trip and if I make it I might tour around Nova Scotia in Cape Breton and then take via rail from Halifax to some place west.

So I'm throwing out a small, electric ferry for your enjoyment and perusal. And yes, I did say electric.

As I recall, the Wilsonville ferry over the Willamette River was a trolley ferry. My dad, being a juice fan, would drive us between Portland and Salem via the ferry, rather than on US99E. The "captain" had a streetcar controller in his small cabin. It was replaced by the I-5 bridge, but the more obscure lines mentioned in the video continued.

Last edited:
As I recall, the Wilsonville ferry over the Willamette River was a trolley ferry. My dad, being a juice fan, would drive us between Portland and Salem via the ferry, rather than on US99E. The "captain" had a streetcar controller in his small cabin. It was replaced by the I-5 bridge, but the more obscure lines mentioned in the video continued.
Apparently there are now two electric ferries in Oregon down from three according to the comments.

I realize this is probably a very dumb question, but I thought electricity and water were a lethal combination—how do they keep the electric ferry from being a dangerous safety hazard?

I realize this is probably a very dumb question, but I thought electricity and water were a lethal combination—how do they keep the electric ferry from being a dangerous safety hazard?
It isn't a dumb question, actually. I think our JIS explained that in a previous post, so hopefully he'll jump in with a technical explanation.

It isn't a dumb question, actually. I think our JIS explained that in a previous post, so hopefully he'll jump in with a technical explanation.
Insulators work just fine in keeping electricity separated from water. Nothing to worry about really.

But there's only one wire, and the video said the underwater guide cables were the path to ground. If the cables were insulated, how could they ground the motor?
As long as the live (170v) overhead wire is not touching water, and the pickup is insulated in its lower end that should be fine. This is exactly the way things work in electrified railways too.

Clearly there is no reason to insulate the ground cable. It is afterall ground.

Last edited:
As long as the live (170v) overhead wire is not touching water, and the pickup is insulated in its lower end that should be fine. This is exactly the way things work in electrified railways too.

Clearly there is no reason to insulate the ground cable. It is afterall ground.
Also, were the trolley wire to break it would short the circuit and the breaker should pop.

3XR3+4V Keizer, Oregon Wheatland Ferry Wheatland Ferry Operating Status

78X5+C8 Canby, Oregon Canby Ferry
https://www.clackamas.us/roads/ferry.html
QV92+RP Jefferson, Oregon Buena Vista Ferry
https://www.co.marion.or.us/PW/ferries/Pages/buenaferryfees.aspx
Now here's a puzzle. These three were listed in the 1973 Oregon Mass Transit Division Annual Report (no home should be without one!) and they are all shown on current Google Maps, so has one been dropped recently? Google searches show all three as operating.

And the one that was replaced with I-5 is now a boat launch:

76RF+F9 Aurora, Oregon Boone's Ferry

The railroad bridge at Boone's Ferry is the Oregon Electric Railway, just south of the WES commuter rail terminus..

In the 1973 report, there was still one trans-Columbia ferry, a tug-and-barge service between Roosevelt, WA and Arlington, OR. The ferry landings still show in Google aerials. Until May 1, 1971, Arlington was served by the UP Portland Rose. Roosevelt had RPO service on the SP&S-BN, but it was not a stop.

PQJG+9P Roosevelt, Washington

Last edited:
Back