Finally got my reservation details :)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opaque

Train Attendant
As I ordered my tickets through Trailfinders in the UK I've only just got my Amtrak reservations.

NYP to WAS on the Regional 147

Capitol Limited Bedroom D and

California Zephyr Bedroom E

Just a couple of questions on the codes with the reservations:

What do these mean?

It says Class Y on the NYP one and Class D on the other 2

Capitol says DOF2, adults 1/DB/Bedroom

Zephyr says DOF2, adults 1/DD/ Bedroom

Why the difference?

Really nice to get this as I have a idea whats going on. It says I can pick up my tickets but does this mean when I go from NY I can get my tickets for all 3 trips?

This forum has been really great with information and help and advice and I'm suer I'll have lots of things to read before I leave on the 9th of April :)

Why are you on train #147? :unsure: That is cutting things very, very close. When I try a test booking for a Saturday/Sunday, my choices are always 143 & 195 to connect with the Capitol Limited. I'm not sure that train #147 is a guaranteed connection to the Capitol. Therefore if it's late, and you've only got 40 minute window, you are on your own. Amtrak will not take care of you! While they no longer have it posted on their website, Amtrak used to have a hard and fast rule that any guaranteed connection must have at least 1 hour between the arriving and departing trains.

And since they typically start boarding 20 to 25 minutes before the departure of the train, you don't have a lot of time.

As to your other question, Y indicates the fare bucket for the Regional train. Which incidentally is the highest fare bucket, which futher makes me believe that who ever did the booking for you did not handle it properly. You should have gotten a discounted ticket, since you are connecting to the Capitol. I don't know if you can see what they charged you for that train #147, but it should be in the neighborhood of about $30 to $40 US, assuming that you didn't book a business class seat. If you were charged more than that, then the odds are very good that whoever did the booking just booked you onto any train going to DC.

This both costs you more money and it means that you do not have a guaranteed connection in DC. You are on your own until and unless you get this changed. If that train is late, you will miss the Capitol and Amtrak won't care.

You need to check this out right away and make sure that you do indeed have a guaranteed connection. I don't think that you do. :eek:

Or are you spending the night in DC? In that case you can ignore most of the above. But it you are doing a same day connection, I think you've got a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm staying in Washington DC for 4 nights :) Thanks for the concern!

I didn't mention it did I but no theres no way I'd have tight connections on Amtrak! I'm not booking anything for the morning after I get to SanFrancisco just in case I'm monumentally late.

I wouldn't be surprised if the people organising it for me just took the first one on their list to be honest. But for my first big holiday I just wanted someone else to organise it all for me, next time (I hope there'll be next times!) I'll probably either do it myself or specificy what I want.

Wow Opaque, that is going to be a great trip! The California Zephyr all across the country, plus what you get to see out east! And a roomette the whole way. This is a trip to aspire to.

Will you spend a lot of time in California? Are you flying back after that?

April 9th departure, that is soon, you must be really excited!

Bedrooms for the CL and CZ, thought I'd push the boat out a bit :)

I'm staying in NY for 3 nights, regional to WDC, Washington DC for 4 nights, overnight to Chicago, 3 nights there, 2 days on the CZ and then 4 nights in San Francisco, then flying back to Gatwick via Cincinatti.

It is getting closer and closer! Booked it all around the end of last August (and joined this forum Sept 3rd!).

Very strange to have all this ahead of me now.

Just need to get my hotel vouchers and flight e-ticket references and I'm all ready!

Just a couple of questions on the codes with the reservations:What do these mean?

It says Class Y on the NYP one and Class D on the other 2

Capitol says DOF2, adults 1/DB/Bedroom

Zephyr says DOF2, adults 1/DD/ Bedroom

Why the difference?

from the AMTRAK website: Inventory Class Codes

Same as the airlines do: F=First, Y=Coach, K, L, U, T, B, = Discounted Coach, etc etc

and R=Concorde, or at least did :(

Thanks for the codes daveyb99. They're all as they should be then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back