Finally saw some Amtrak Action today!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P40Power

OBS Chief
We went down to check out Berkshire Community College in Pittsfield today and decided to take a spin by the Amtrak station to see how the new station is comming along, and it happened to be just about time for train 449 to come in, and there was a decent size crowd waiting at the Amshack.

We parked, checked out the new station which is comming along SLOWLY but surely, and also checked out a CSX freight awaiting an eastbound freight and Amtrak to pass by, it was sitting right next to the new station with a trio of C40-8W locomotives. THe rear two units were in the need of a good wash, and it sounded like the rear locomotive could use a tune up!

Within 5 minutes of being there an eastbound CSX mixed freight came barreling threw with two locomotives, one in the new "Dark Future" scheme, with a long string of cars. I thought to myself either Amtrak is very late or it is waiting at the crossovers down by the East Street Yard for this train to come threw so it can switch to track one, pass the waiting CSX train, stop at the station and head to Albany.

This proved to be true because about 5 minutes later Amtrak 449 came into the station, at quite a bit of speed I must add! I didnt get very detailed consist information, because I usually get pretty exited and dont remember many of the numbers- I should start keeping me a pencil and paper with me from now on.

Heres what I remember though:

P42 94 on the lead

P42 ?? back to back with 94

1700 series baggage car, with both roll-up doors on each slide slightly open oddly enough

Viewliner - Prarie View, the Vestibule door was facing the back of the train which is out of the norm

Amfleet II coach in the Phase IVb scheme

Amfleet II coach in the Phase IV scheme, with red "safety" stripe along bottom

Amfleet I cafe in the Phase IVb scheme

The train stopped for quite a while, as it did have a pretty heavy load of passengers getting on and off, probably due to the holiday weekend because usually at Pittsfield there are hardly any patrons.

The coaches looked quite full, couldnt really tell how well there sleepers were occupied. The seats in the cafe car were mostly taken as well, its always nice to see a good load of people aboard. The train finished up its station work and departed around 20 minutes late.

Soon after, about 3-4 minutes the CSX freight continued west right behind the Amtrak, which I thought was odd because I thought it would have had to wait longer then that for the Amtrak to clear farther out west in front of the freight.

All I can say, is its nice to see an Amtrak train, its been about 6 months since Ive seen one!!

This summer, there is a train trip in the works for me, Albany to Niagra Falls!! I hope we get to go on it!

Ah yes Amtrak action is always nice! Even if its just for a short time. I went through the Pittfield station a couple months ago. We had to wait there for a few passing freights. I think I saw the new station, but I don't remember. I just saw the little shelter as if you were waiting for a city bus.

Chris

Well Saxman there are alot of times that trains have to wait by the Amtrak station because just west of the depot at CP 150 the line goes from double track to single track and its many miles to the next siding. Amtrak used to get through there most of the time without waiting for years becasue the way Conrail had its trains scheduled Amtrak would come through on the dead periods for Conrail, but that has changed as CSX has changed the schedules quite a bit.

As for the station, there are 3 stations right in that area. Theres the Amshack that you saw, then right beyond that theres a building that made up a section of the grand old Union Station, which was an awesome structure when it was still standing, but because of urban renewal (have to make way for parking lots!!) most of the complex is gone. The building that is left has been changed into a resturant/office building. Its in pretty good shape.

The new BRTA Intermodal Transit center is across the tracks from the Amshack and the former union terminal. Its still a work in progress as I said before, its quite a big place. It also looks like it will be a fairly attractive building as well when its finished (it was spossed to be done in fall 2003, but supposidly CSX slowed the process up).

The new train station could be a tough one to spot if you are on the train, especially if you re facing the other way. Its immediately on the left after the train emerges from the short tunnel under North Street. And even if you are on the left side of the train, all you will see probably is just a cement wall with some doorways and a platform taking shape next to the tracks. The station is located in like the side of a hill at the corner of two streets. The part the most intresting to see is actually quite a ways up from the tracks. The new station extends right up to the lower platform of the Amshack, with the new parking garage up on that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back