Fires in Cal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headed from Tx to PDX on the 28th. Are the fires in Cal causing any disruptions on CS14?

So far, so good for #14. However, today's SWC #4 is showing a disruption due to a fast moving wildfire over Cajon Summit. Rail traffic was halted at 1:00 this afternoon through the the pass. A news report stated that a freight train was trapped and the crew had to bail. But there is no report of this on the CHP site.

I don't think so, Lake County is far enough away from the route. On the other hand, 4 going east of LA this evening will likely experience a "service disruption", and 3 westbound will probably be held near Victorville until the tracks open up.

Talk on Trainorders (Western and Passenger Boards) is that tonight's #4 will detour via Palmdale and Mojave to Barstow. That will be interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk on Trainorders (Western and Passenger Boards) is that tonight's #4 will detour via Palmdale and Mojave to Barstow. That will be interesting!
Per the tracking map she (#4) is 'off track' tonight. Wonder what happens to folks like me that get on/off at Fullerton????

Per the tracking map she (#4) is 'off track' tonight. Wonder what happens to folks like me that get on/off at Fullerton????
Yes, http://asm.transitdocs.com/shows #4 northbound through the San Fernando Valley. As for Fullerton passengers (and Riverside and San Bernardino)..they can't get through the pass by road (bus) either.

What's holding #3 would be the Bluecut Fire. According to Wikipedia, the fire started at 10:36 am. If #3 is stuck just before the pass, it means that #3 was late by at least 6 hours. The fire is not contained, so looks like #3 will be a sitting duck for a while (unless there are some contradictory information). Here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia article about this wildfire:

The Bluecut Fire is a wildfire currently burning in the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino County, California.[1] The fire started at 10:36 AM just west of Interstate 15.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluecut_Fire

What's holding #3 would be the Bluecut Fire. According to Wikipedia, the fire started at 10:36 am. If #3 is stuck just before the pass, it means that #3 was late by at least 6 hours. The fire is not contained, so looks like #3 will be a sitting duck for a while (unless there are some contradictory information). Here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia article about this wildfire:

The Bluecut Fire is a wildfire currently burning in the Cajon Pass in San Bernardino County, California.[1] The fire started at 10:36 AM just west of Interstate 15.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluecut_Fire
#3 of 08/15 is currently near Gallup, 1:45 late out of ABQ (per http://asm.transitdocs.com/)... plenty of time to bring her in via Mojave tonight. #3 of 08/14 arrived in LA this morning at 0735. Tonight's #4 is currently (2000 PDT) northbound on the Metrolink Valley Subdivision.

Sucks. I see it's north of Lancaster right now.

The I-15 is closed from San Bernardino to Hesperia. Surprisingly no colossal back-up cascading through all of the basin, just a couple miles of slow-downs around it.

BNSF is probably really annoyed right now.

The fire has exploded to 15,000 acres now. The Cajon Pass is the major corridor for both rail and vehicles - 150,000 vehicles alone drive through ever day and I don't know about the trains - and the traffic has had to divert miles out of the way. One friend drove 6 hours and 30 minutes to get from Ontario to Barstow which normally takes an hour and a half. She had tons of company over mostly two lane roads.

I can't imagine what kind of disruption the rail is experiencing.

For instance the train status says 3 will arrive in Barstow at 5:15 am, over an hour late. It is expected to reach LAX 23 minutes late.

KTLA reported this morning that tracks in Cajon were burned and damaged....but they saw repair crews checking minutes after the flames had passed. As important this line is I am sure they will be on it fast.

I don't have a TV so I'm tracking through Facebook for the most part. State 138 is closed and that is a major pain for commuters trying to get around the 15.

Victorville and I'm told Barstow are both full in the hotels.

Looks like the SWC just can't catch a break! In addition to the Fire in SoCal now #3(16) is in a Service Disruption out of Raton after arriving on time!

Is it flooding in New Mexico or more P-42 problems?

Not an easy fix........

CqE-ClFVIAAbydk.jpg

Looks like the SWC just can't catch a break! In addition to the Fire in SoCal now #3(16) is in a Service Disruption out of Raton after arriving on time!

we came through on Sunday and there was a lot of running water. Made me a little nervous!

The "good" train tracker website shows #3 as being 56 minutes late from Lamy with an estimated arrival into Albuquerque 13 minutes early. I am not sure why it shows it in service disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back