first Amtrak trip by 2 Canadians

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We first became interested in taking Amtrak when we watched a program on public television about train excursions. The Coast Starlight was recommended as one of North America's better train excursions because of the beautiful scenery.

We had a difficult time trying to book a trip because no travel agent in Canada handled Amtrak. We finally contacted Amtrak directly and booked a trip in June of 2004.

Unfortunately, my husband had a bad break to his leg prior to our trip, but we got approval from his doctor that we could still travel. Amtrak was great, they allowed us to preboard and stay on the lower level. We travelled coach but there was a lot of room on the lower level to stretch our legs and the washrooms were close by. The meals were excellent. Also, the attendents always offered to bring us our meals even though we declined as we enjoyed talking to the different people seated with us at the dinner table. Since I enjoy meeting and talking to different people, I was in 7th heaven on the train. What a difference from travelling on the plane. Everyone keeps to themself. On the train I found everyone was friendly and informal.

So, to make a long story short, we will only travel by Amtrak or car to the U.S.A.

The only recommendation we have is that Amtrak advertise more in Canada. When we told friends and other people about Amtrak, they were shocked to hear how reasonable the travel is. Our VIA train is very expensive. It is cheaper to travel by plane than train in Canada!

Last year it was my trip to hell on the airlines to your great country that made me say, "there has to be a better way". I about died when I noticed I could have taken Amtrak to Toronto. I rode Amtrak the first time in March of this year, and just rode it again last weekend. I too, can talk to anybody, anywhere, anytime and enjoy that. I have always said, "if you can't get along with me, you can't get along with anybody." I think that is what I enjoy about the train the most, the "travelling community" of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back