First Amtrak Trip with Scanner Radio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote a quick trip report for my first trip with a scanner radio. Please check it out.
Hiawatha Trip Report

-David
Nice report. My first trip with a scanner was last year and I enjoyed it a lot more than the GPS I usually take. One thing I do differently than you is I set up bands of frequencies for each part of a trip, then use the scan function instead of setting one channel. The activity going through yards (like Roseville in No. CA) is pretty interesting. When there isn't anything else much going on, I add back in the police/fire bands. Agree with what you say about OTOL, great resource.

I wrote a quick trip report for my first trip with a scanner radio. Please check it out.
Hiawatha Trip Report

-David
Nice report. My first trip with a scanner was last year and I enjoyed it a lot more than the GPS I usually take. One thing I do differently than you is I set up bands of frequencies for each part of a trip, then use the scan function instead of setting one channel. The activity going through yards (like Roseville in No. CA) is pretty interesting. When there isn't anything else much going on, I add back in the police/fire bands. Agree with what you say about OTOL, great resource.
Thanks for the report! I have a scanner, last year I was on SW Chief and out in the desert one of those axle

counting track detectors said we had problem, the train stopped and we just sat there . I was the only one in

the sleeper car that had a scanner , I could hear the engineer talking to the conductor and to dispatch . I was

able to keep the rest of the car informed of what was going on because none of the crew seemed to know

and no anouncements were made for about 20 minutes! It turned out to be a false reading and we were on

our way in about 30 minutes, a scanner is a must for riding the rail!!!!

Trainfan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back