First Class Free Meal Procedure?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
Does the sleeping car attendant give out meal coupons prior to each meal or is your ticket stub shown to the waiter?

Dennis,

I haven't seen coupons used in quite sometime. Maybe doing away with this was a small way for Amtrak to cut cost.

On my recent trips except for the Empire Builder, it almost seemed like it was they "took your word for it". Meaning we just wrote our name, car and room number. Nobody checked anything. I think this only works when you walk into the Diner from the sleeping car end, and not the end toward the coaches.

On the Empire Builder last month they did check our ticket stubs. However this train has sleepers on the very front and the very rear of the train. So they can't assume your in a sleeper just from which door you walked in. Or maybe it all depends on who is running the show on each train.

I suspect that when you sign your name and provide the room number on the check, or the crew writes that info on their, they can cross reference it with the manifest.

But anytime I go in the sleeper, I always have to provide the room and car number. One of the pleasant rituals of train travel. :D

Some LSA's will ask to see your ticket stub so they can write it on the Sleeping Car Passenger check (they have seperate ones for Coach, Sleeper, and Employee meals). Some will ask you to write the info in on your check, others make it up. Regardless you should be signing your check at each meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back