First long trip on Amtrak (SAS to VAC)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy:

We're cruising from Vancouver in May and decided to take the train from San Antonio (SAS) to Vancouver (VAC), with an overnight in Seattle (SEA). Last time, we drove to Bellingham and took Amtrak from there. This time, we figure we'll take the train the whole way. We have coach seats (the rooms/roomettes were prohibitively expensive!) We're on the Sunset Limited, the Coastal Starlight, and the Cascades. Came here looking for tips and advice for the trip. It's 68 hours to Seattle.

I have done multi-day coach trips many times in the past. I have found that I usually get little sleep the first night but sleep much better during the subsequent nights. By day three I find myself dozing off a bit during the day. Plan for the trip to be tiring but quite an adventure. Take a sleep mask and a supply of snacks.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report of your trip.

Planning on the same connection in Los Angeles next month. If arrival and departure are per the schedule, there's time for breakfast after arrival at 0535. Intend to eat at the 24hr Denny's at the corner of Ramirez and Vignes during the (hopefully) 4¼ hours between trains. It's about a 400 yard walk each way but you might cut that to about 250 yards if you can get a RedCap ride to Union Station East.

In May 2017, I traveled on Amtrak from Orlando, FL to Vancouver, BC for an Alaska cruise. I traveled from ORL to WAS to CHI to SEA, spent the night in SEA then the VAC, spent the night in VAC then boarded the ship for Alaska. Once in Anchorage, I took the Alaska RR to Fairbanks, then a cruise tour back to Whittier where I boarded another ship back to Vancouver and then Amtrak back home. (I do not fly).

I was fortunate to be able to be in sleepers the entire trip (other than Cascades) because it was very long. I wish you good luck traveling in coach. Sitting next to a family member or significant other makes the trip more pleasant.

Here is a thread discussing traveling in coach:
https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/amtrak-coach-discussion.84017/

According to Google Earth., Phillipe's is a 700 yard walk from the westernmost track in LAUS but Denny's is only 400 yards from that same track. I've eaten at Phillipe's but am 80+ YOA, so I'm stickin' to the closer Denny's.

Beside that, if the SL is late into LAX the closer eatery makes more sense. All this assumes there's no breakfast for sleeper pax on the CS out of LAX departing at 0951hrs. This begs the question. . .

. . .is it safe to assume there's no breakfast on the CS departing LAX at 09115hrs?

Last edited:
Be sure and get decent food anytime you get a chance. Take some with you onto the train if you're particular about what you eat. Also take a throw for the cold nights. The 68 hours between San Antonio and Seattle would be nice to break up with another overnight, although I have ridden longer than that without a break.

Have a blanket or long coat for warmth if needed (coach may be chilly for some of us any time of year). Decades back, pillows often were provided free (or for a small fee) to coach passengers. I don't use a pillow in bed but at least a small one in coach may be helpful to bring along. Consider lumbar support for your back (I need to), and a small pillow or rolled-up towel or other cloth can work. Some people may like to use ear plugs (I haven't needed to). I've never had trouble sleeping in coach if the seats recline way back and there are leg rests (alternatively, some people sleep across two seats if the coach is not full and I did that somewhat on a daytime train across Missouri last fall, while my wife sat in the seat across the aisle, but we went into one of the cars with few passengers).

Howdy Beer12!
I understand the sleepers are too expensive for you now. There are two things you can do between now and when you board to at least to try and help that out. First, check the fares daily. They do change with sales, cancellations, and occasional reassessments of capacity. These assessments happen fairly regularly at the 4 month mark prior to the trip. Second, put in for a “bid-up”. If I’m interested in the next level of accommodations, I’ll put in the minimum bid and see what happens. Good luck!

Howdy:

We're cruising from Vancouver in May and decided to take the train from San Antonio (SAS) to Vancouver (VAC), with an overnight in Seattle (SEA). Last time, we drove to Bellingham and took Amtrak from there. This time, we figure we'll take the train the whole way. We have coach seats (the rooms/roomettes were prohibitively expensive!) We're on the Sunset Limited, the Coastal Starlight, and the Cascades. Came here looking for tips and advice for the trip. It's 68 hours to Seattle.
Howdy from Coppell!

The food on the Sunset is good AMTRAK Diner food. But expensive if you are in Coach. Take a look at AMAZON, they have some neat soft electric cooler bags. You can leave it plugged in at your seat for snax and stuff. Look for blowup lumbar and other type pillows. Easier for portage. A short AC extension cord with USB outlets built in for charging. Earphones/buds, natch! A tablet with movies and/or Kindle. A blanket or throw, sometimes it gets cool. Small size LYSOL spray for - well - you know. Wheeled luggage, natch!
Philippe's is worth an Uber ride. It's a short run, so tip heavily. There is great Redcap service in the LA station, they will hook you up.

Check AMTRAK's fares every day starting about 3 AM. That's when they purge the holds. Enroll for BidUp. You never know. If you are not an AMTRAK Guest Rewards member, sign up now! They answer the phone much more quickly, and offer a call back.

Don't overlook the Handicapped room. As it gets closer to train time, sometimes it can be had for less $$$ but you have to book on the phone. If you are a Senior Citizen, make sure AMTRAK knows it.

And even after you board, check with the Conductor as to availability of a sleeper, even for a part of the journey. For example, I rode coach out of SAS one morning, and found that there had been a cancellation from Deming. Got a nice deal on a Roomette in time for a free dinner! You can also call AMTRAK while en route, tell them you are aboard and wonder if there are any holes to fill.

Have a good trip!

Last edited:
Back