First overnight trip completed, NB train question & thank you

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
I just wanted to thank everyone for answering my questions about train travel, and to let you know I've finally taken my first overnight train. It was the City of New Orleans from Chicago to New Orleans. It was just wonderful - the service, the sense of peace and just being in the moment, the roomette, everything.

I guess I'm hooked and am already planning more trips (already had California Zephyr planned, but now I'm planning more). :)

I wonder if the City of New Orleans train northbound would be even better? I know that the menus have more to offer, but it seems like the scenery is the same both ways due to the timing. Any opinions?

Thanks again - I'll be back with more questions soon, and maybe I'll be able to answer one or two now, too. ;)

Please share the details of your trip with us by writing a trip report! New Orleans is a great place, and while the City of New Orleans doesn't have the best scenery due to it's schedule, its a nice experience!

Taking it North bound isn't anything special but the California Zephyr ( and Coast Starlight) is the ultimate sightseeing train in the US!!

I have a trip on CONO in 3 weeks (!). I've read that the tracks tend to be a bit on the rough side around Memphis. I have (as of tonight) no personal knowledge of that.

I say this because if you enjoyed your NOLA to CHI trip, a trip out West on the Empire Builder or the California Zephyr will be a revelation. I was shocked at how quiet, smooth and relaxing those rides were. I would do either one in a heartbeat, just for the fun of the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back