First Question re: Empire Builder Route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersummer

Service Attendant
I'm attempting to plot route of Empire Builder on a map, to take along with me on our upcoming trip. People here have directed me to a few good sites showing pretty good details of tracks. However, I need some help filling in the gaps. I have one question now, and may have more as I continue plotting this route.

Our trip will be west to east. Leaving St Paul/Minneapolis toward Red Wing, Winona, and La Crosse, map show tracks on both sides of Mississippi River. Does anyone know which side of river the train will travel on?

I'm attempting to plot route of Empire Builder on a map, to take along with me on our upcoming trip. People here have directed me to a few good sites showing pretty good details of tracks. However, I need some help filling in the gaps. I have one question now, and may have more as I continue plotting this route.
Our trip will be west to east. Leaving St Paul/Minneapolis toward Red Wing, Winona, and La Crosse, map show tracks on both sides of Mississippi River. Does anyone know which side of river the train will travel on?
When you first leave St. Paul, the river will be on your right side. You will cross it just before Hastings and will have it on the left side of you until you cross it again at LaCrosse and part ways with it for good.

Unless there is any major problems with CP, the route will be on the west side of the river from Hastings to LaCrosse. However, from time to time, they have routed it on to the east side, which runs on BNSF. It would have to be due to something major such as flooding or a derailment

I'm from Red Wing originally, and the trip from there to LaCrosse is beautiful - especially when the river widens into Lake Pepin and the tracks run right on the shore. That's a good time to be in the lounge car!

Dan

I rode the EB back in the late 80's.

No, not MY late 80's.lol

I took it from WI to Seattle.

I was disappointed in that it went through western Mont, Id and eastern WA during the night and, it was impossible to see the best scenery of the trip.

I haven't yet checked the currnent schedule however, I thought this could have been scheduled to enable us to enjoy the scenery during daylight.

Amtrak's first priority is transportation, get you from point A to point B. They are not a sightseeing company. That being said, we rode the EB last September. The westbound EB arrived in Glacier in late afternoon/early evening. We woke up the next morning in the Cascades. From Glacier to Seattle it is almost sensory overload. If you are close to on time, you should still have some good viewing. We did. It was a beautiful sunset over the mountains. Eastbound, the EB goes through Glacier in the morning. Great scenery for breakfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back