First time on Amtrak - was scared but now am impressed!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad to hear that your trip turned out well! I'm not surprised because it is a great way to travel. Like you I am a quiet woman so I prefer to eat in my room. It feels more comfortable to me. On my first long distance trip I was in the middle of a personal crisis and I guess the room attendant could see how upset I was and she insisted on bringing meals to me and I've requested it ever since. If the train is going through a scenic area sometimes I do go to the sightseeing car and have had nice conversation with other solo travelers there.

I am a newbie to train travel. I boarded the Capitol Limited (#29) at Cumberland MD on Tuesday for my very first train trip. I was nervous and scared, and as the train pulled into the station and came to a screeching stop I had half a mind to run away! Haha! But within moments Amtrak staff (not sure what their titles are) got off the train and greeted the awaiting passengers. I had reserved a roomette and was directed to the train by a very friendly and polite gentleman who not only assisted me on board but also carried my heavier luggage to my roomette. I sat in my roomette, waving out the window to my husband who remained on the platform, talking to me via cell phone while I waited for the train to depart. I think he was as nervous as I was, putting his wife on a train all by herself to travel all the way to Iowa! The train finally departed and I enjoyed the scenery. I declined the included meal because my husband and I had already dined out for the evening. As darkness fell I delighted in watching the train round corners and bends, and I could see the engines in the turn ahead, the lights illuminating the tracks. I got a good night's sleep, only woke up a few times, and finally in the morning we were entering Chicago. This scared me too, I am a small town girl and was scared of this "big station". But I soon found there was nothing to worry about. After getting off my train I found my way to the Metropolitan Lounge where I spent a rather long layover in relative comfort. There were comfortable chairs and couches, my larger baggage could be checked so I didn't have to lug it around, and there were TVs to watch, snacks and soft drinks free of charge, friendly staff, and other passengers to chat with and pass the time. Then I boarded my second train (Southwest Chief) that would take me to my destination (Ft. Madison IA). I had a roomette on this portion of the journey as well. Again I was impressed. Mind you, at this point I was suffering from a bit of motion sickness. The Amtrak employee (again I don't know the appropriate titles to refer to them by) who worked my car noted that I did not look well. And he kept checking on me to make sure I was ok. Every so often he would stop at my roomette and ask me if I needed anything and if I was alright. He checked on me regularly and called me by name. He was a very nice gentleman. When my train was about to arrive in Ft. Madison IA he came to let me know, helped me with my baggage, helped me off the train upon arrival at the station, etc. All in all, I am highly impressed with the courtesy, efficiency, friendliness, care, and concern that Amtrak and it's employees give to their passengers. And here I was scared to death to ride the train, and now I feel as if I was treated like royalty! :D Am not dreading my return trip at all, I know I will be in good hands!
That's such a *lovely* experience! Really chuffed that the railway came through for you :)

I think we've all been there - whether the first time on a big train journey, visiting a big city, or anything else.

A good example of why not to let fear get the better of us!

What made you choose the train this time?

On my first train trip this year, I was scared as I had never been away from home alone, let alone on a train. It was the best thing I could have done and I am so glad you enjoyed your trip.

One thing I make sure I do is take dramamine with me, I have used it a couple times on the train, depends on the track conditions. The Texas Eagle has some bad areas, so I make sure if I am taking the TE I take my dramamine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back