First time on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically even a flag stop isn't simply passed at speed as if it wasn't there. If a train is early to a flag stop it will cease moving and wait. If a train is on time or late it will slow to a crawl while passing before resuming track speed. The idea being that even without a reservation someone outside could wave the train down as it passed and board.
True that; I was once aboard a Sunset Limited which was ten minutes early into Sanderson. The flag stop became a "smoke stop".

My brother and I are going on Amtrak and our agent did all the arrangements. All the hotels on our trip are double occupancy and one room. It is a 10 day trip. We paid for 2 package deals and the agent put it all on one paper itinerary (travelling together). Do they always put you in a room together through Amtrak? The way I see it, we paid for 2 package trips so we should each have a room. Anybody else come across this issue?

Many package tours (and cruises) are priced per person based on double occupancy. All depends on what you and the travel agent agreed on based on what the package description (in writing) was. Amtrak accommodations are priced per room, with each occupant paying the coach fare. So 2 people pay 1 accommodation charge and 2 coach fares. 1 person pays 1 accommodation charge (the same as for 2) and 1 rail fare.

Many package tours (and cruises) are priced per person based on double occupancy. All depends on what you and the travel agent agreed on based on what the package description (in writing) was. Amtrak accommodations are priced per room, with each occupant paying the coach fare. So 2 people pay 1 accommodation charge and 2 coach fares. 1 person pays 1 accommodation charge (the same as for 2) and 1 rail fare.
I think she's asking about the hotels, not the train. Guessing she's talking about an Amtrak Vacations package.

So can a pack beer in a carry on if I don't drink it? That would be great! My daughter has never been to Chicago, so the Sears Tower would be fun. To confirm, we can walk there? Do you know if Sandusky has Uber service yet? If we pack a suitcase of food the only things we would need to buy would be refrigerated items (milk, meat for sandwiches, etc). Thanks for all the great responses. If you have any other "secrets of train travel" please let me know.
. You can bring a littl cooler, too! Then you can bring everything with you :) . I did that many years ago while flying to Hawaii. We brought everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
So can a pack beer in a carry on if I don't drink it? That would be great! My daughter has never been to Chicago, so the Sears Tower would be fun. To confirm, we can walk there? Do you know if Sandusky has Uber service yet? If we pack a suitcase of food the only things we would need to buy would be refrigerated items (milk, meat for sandwiches, etc). Thanks for all the great responses. If you have any other "secrets of train travel" please let me know.
. You can bring a littl cooler, too! Then you can bring everything with you :) . I did that many years ago while flying to Hawaii. We brought everything!
Also close to the station is the Money Museum. I can't remember exactly how far but maybe 3-4 blocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back