First time on long distance Amtrak roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone. So I just booked my first ever long distance amtrak train, in a roomette on the silverstar, to return home after a cruise. And I was hoping to get some advice from the fine people on this forum, what to expect, what sort if things to pack for the twenty six hours.

The train is on july 22, i am in car 9211, room xxx. Any idea if this is a new viewliner or an old one?
Does anyone have suggestions for what sort of snacks, libations to pack or things to bring from home for this trip?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone. So I just booked my first ever long distance amtrak train, in a roomette on the silverstar, to return home after a cruise. And I was hoping to get some advice from the fine people on this forum, what to expect, what sort if things to pack for the twenty six hours.

The train is on july 22, i am in car 9211, room xxx. Any idea if this is a new viewliner or an old one?
Does anyone have suggestions for what sort of snacks, libations to pack or things to bring from home for this trip?
I believe the only way to predict Viewliner I or II is contact Amtrak Resvations and ask how many rooms your car has 12 Roomettes = Viewliner I and 11 Roomettes = Viewliner II. Snacks and drinks are kind of personal preference items but you can have adult beverages as long as they're consumed in your room. Water is typically ample in sleepers. I'd reccomend a light jacket there are times when cars actually get cooler than some like it. A power strip if you have much electronics to charge, small flashlight, I like to have a schedule of the train I'm on,handy if you'd like to get off at longer stops, sandals are handy, others will chime in i'm sure.

I'd suggest wearing Comfortable Clothing, ie T Shirt,Casual Pants (Sports Shorts for Nightime if you have to go down the Hall, ie a VII Sleeper) , a Light Jacket or Sweat Pants ( it can get Cold at Night) and Comfortable Shoes.

If you're checking Luggage, you'll want to take Whstever you need during the Trip in a Carry on or Pack.

Be sure and listen to announcements so you'll be in your Room when the LSA takes Meal Reservations for Dinner( Breakfast and Lunch are usually First Come/First Seved)

Please write a Trip Report and let us know how it goes!

I'd take printed matter to read, some sort of snack food, especially if you get on or off just after or before meal time (see Amtrak website), and expect to be somewhat late ore at least prepared to deal with it if you are. Good news is that good food is back on the Silvers and you should be able to find things on the menu to your taste so bringing food is much less crucial than on flex dining trains. a printed map and/or timetable if you like knowing where you are

In a roomette by yourself, you should have plenty of room to keep stuff with you. I prefer to not have the seats made into a bed and use the upper berth if I want to lie down, talk to the attendant if that's your preference. Viewliners have plenty of room up top. I've found staff to be helpful, but it varies. I tip, but not extravagently so it helps to have cash on hand.

You may want to read this read this thread regarding "things to take with you:"

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/things-to-take-with-you.22488/
The Silvers are my "home" trains and I have enjoyed every trip. I hope you enjoy your cruise and your train trip home. I have taken the Silver Star home from a cruise once and the Silver Meteor home from a cruise once.

In my opinion, the Silvers have some of the best attendants around.

9211 is normally a VL2, the newer car, with no toilet in the Roomettes.

If there are 2 of you in the roomette, be aware that there is not enough space to also put in regular-size luggage in the roomette. On the Superliners (the trains in the western US) there is space downstairs if you're not checking the luggage, but I don't know/remember if that is the case also on the Viewliners.

If there are 2 of you in the roomette, be aware that there is not enough space to also put in regular-size luggage in the roomette. On the Superliners (the trains in the western US) there is space downstairs if you're not checking the luggage, but I don't know/remember if that is the case also on the Viewliners.
That is an excellent point. VL-1s do not have a separate luggage space. What is the situation with VL-2s?

What there is on both species of Viewliner is a luggage cubby over the sink that extends out over the hall. It'll take two airline size carry-ons or one larger bag. It can be a challenge to get a bigger item up there, I lower the upper berth, but my larger bag on it, push it up to the middle detent, then stand on the step and slide it over into the cubby. The middle detent puts the berth even with the cubby.

The cubby on the Viewliner IIs is somewhat smaller than those on the Is.

What there is on both species of Viewliner is a luggage cubby over the sink that extends out over the hall. It'll take two airline size carry-ons or one larger bag. It can be a challenge to get a bigger item up there, I lower the upper berth, but my larger bag on it, push it up to the middle detent, then stand on the step and slide it over into the cubby. The middle detent puts the berth even with the cubby.

The cubby on the Viewliner IIs is somewhat smaller than those on the Is.
These are the dimensions of the overhead storage area in Viewliner 1 Roomettes. We need someone to take a tape measure in a Viewliner II Roomette and submit measurements for that:

Viewliner 1:

"The overhead storage bin in a Viewliner roomette is 21 inches deep, 16 inches tall and 35 and half inches wide so you can measure your luggage and compare the measurements to this space. There is a raised rim at the opening which is one or two inches tall and there is a railing at the opening to hold the luggage in place.

Note that in order to place luggage into the storage bin, the luggage has to clear a protruding light fixture and the railing mentioned above and this clearance is a little over 12 inches. So although the storage bin is 16 inches tall, a suitcase with rigid sides much over 12 inches thick would not fit into the bin because you wouldn't be able to get it through the opening."

My suitcase is 26"x16"x12". It fits easily in a Viewliner I cubby although it is work to get it over the rail. It has large, hard wheels to get over the rail. The Viewliner II's cubby is shallower, I think the width and height are the same. That it is shallower made it more difficlut to maneuver it to get the wheels over the rail for my bag.

Last edited:
Amtrak provides towels and soap for the showers, but not shampoo. If you want shampoo you will need to pack it.

Other than that, a normal overnight bag is all I typically take. Things like deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, and a change of clothing. Meals will be included, including an adult beverage with dinner (at least that is the case on the Western LD trains; I assume the same is true on the Silvers). Any other food or drink is completely up to you, but you will have to consume it in your roomette.

Any other food or drink is completely up to you, but you will have to consume it in your roomette.
Just to clarify, personal alcohol brought on board must consumed in your room. Alcohol purchased onboard can be consumed anywhere on the train. Non-alcoholic beverages and food are not subject to restriction, but often cafe tables are restricted to food purchased onboard.

My wife and I taking the Silver Star to our daughter's wedding and have booked a roomette. I'm concerned about how much room there will be. Do you think we should be concerned.

My wife and I taking the Silver Star to our daughter's wedding and have booked a roomette. I'm concerned about how much room there will be. Do you think we should be concerned.
I love the roomettes, like a cozy little world all to yourselves. Some are bigger than others - the Chicago Lake Shore are bigger, the ones on the Southwest Chief were smaller.

T
The Silver Star has VIewliner sleepers. The footprint of all roomettes is about the same, roughly 3' x 6' but Viewliners have much higher ceilings, much more headroom in the upper berths, and a second row of windows for the upper berth. That makes them seem much roomier and airier than Superliner roomettes, despite the fact the are the same length and width.

I mostly travel Superliners, though I have taken Viewliners several times. I generally do not recommend that two adults share a roomette the first time out, since they are quite small and cozy can easily translate to "closet" depending on the passenger's perceptions. This is a bit less of a concern on Viewliners because of much greater headroom and the upper has ample headroom and a window. They feel less confined.

Be aware that there is a difference between Viewliner Is and IIs in the plumbing arrangements. Viewliner Is have a toilet in the room. Unless you are comfortable with having your travel mate sit across from you, or lie in their berth with their feet beside you, while you are attending to your bodily functions, the other will need to go outside in the hall while the other does their business. Viewliner Is have no common toilets available as an alternative. Viewliner IIs have no toilets in the room but have two common washrooms for roomette passengers. Folks here are are divided on which is better, I'm on team "potty down the hall" myself.

Last edited:
I travel with my sister in roomettes. What we do is bring a carryon-size suitcase which we place at the bottom of the longest bed (the lower bunk) and I sleep on that bed because I'm quite short (4'11''), so me plus the luggage at the foot of the bed almost fits and is good enough for me. There is a shelf across from the upper bunk that some people can put daypacks or things like that. My sister seems to have a hard time putting certain things on that shelf because I assume it's a reach or something. I'm not sure what the exact issue is as I have not been up there. During the day when the beds are in the chair configuration, we put the carryon on the step or the toilet depending if it's a superliner or a Viewliner 1 (never been on a Viewliner 2.

The other thing to be aware of is that if you need to stand while dressing, there is room for only 1 person to stand at a time when the room is in bed configuration with the door closed and barely enough room at that.

My wife and I have dufflebags that fit in the area above the hallway in the viewliners. That along with a backpack is perfect for travel. On the Superliners which don’t have that space, we use the solace downstairs.

My wife and I started traveling on the Silver Star/Meteor 13 years ago, and love the tight little roomette. It's "cozy," in the way a phone booth would be. 😆
For reference, I am 5'8" and she is 5'5". I've told friends the roomette is a "Marriage Tester:" If you can spend 24 hours in there without killing one another, you are clearly MFEO. Seriously, with proper allocation of luggage, personal effects, electronic devices, and clothing, it's a magical miniature world. And you leave for periods of pleasant social time in the dining car. One thing we do: in the morning, we have the SCA restore the seats but leave the upper bunk intact. (Sometimes, we even have them make up the upper bunk as soon as we board). That way, we have a split-level "apartment," downstairs for reading, conversation, and scenery-gazing, and upstairs for naps. And I bring fresh underwear & shirt, and after breakfast I take a hot shower and change- it feels so darned civilized! I hope you find the journey as delightful as we do.

Attachments

• Tue-Weds2 053.jpg
    Tue-Weds2 053.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
My wife and I started traveling on the Silver Star/Meteor 13 years ago, and love the tight little roomette. It's "cozy," in the way a phone booth would be. 😆
For reference, I am 5'8" and she is 5'5". I've told friends the roomette is a "Marriage Tester:" If you can spend 24 hours in there without killing one another, you are clearly MFEO. Seriously, with proper allocation of luggage, personal effects, electronic devices, and clothing, it's a magical miniature world. And you leave for periods of pleasant social time in the dining car. One thing we do: in the morning, we have the SCA restore the seats but leave the upper bunk intact. (Sometimes, we even have them make up the upper bunk as soon as we board). That way, we have a split-level "apartment," downstairs for reading, conversation, and scenery-gazing, and upstairs for naps. And I bring fresh underwear & shirt, and after breakfast I take a hot shower and change- it feels so darned civilized! I hope you find the journey as delightful as we do.
It was a fantastic trip, including the wedding of course! The roomette was definitely cozy, but wasn't any problem at all. We also had one of the older cars with the commode in the roomette; my wife particularly liked that. The only negative things we dealt with, which I suppose is to be somewhat expected in an older sleeper, is that on the way down, my wife's upper bunk bounced up and down a bit making for bumping noises. She actually liked it because it felt like a massage; I wasn't thrilled by the noise. On the way back, our roomette had a light malfunction so that most of the lights couldn't be turned off. The attendant had to use the circuit breaker to turn off the lights. In spite of these minor things, we really enjoyed the experience and the food was second to none.

Back