First time rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_justus

Hello I was wondering if anyone could share some info on travel on AMTRAK. This will be our first time and not sure of what to expect. I have been on a Subway in NewYork before, that about it. We do have children traveling with us. It will take us three days to get to our destination, East

to West. We will be traveling Coach. Our layovers are a 2-hours long. So please if anyone could recommend anything to make out first train ride easier, I would really appreciate this so much.

Mayre

Your expectations and preparations will depend, to a large extent, on where you are going and which train you plan to take. As a general rule, your schedule should be flexible. With the possible exception of the trains that move up and down the east coast between Boston and Washington, D.C., which tend to be more reliable in their schedules than competing air service in recent times, the trains can be spectacularly late.

Even though the U.S. passenger rail system is slow, anemic, old and clunky by world standards, it represents an attractive alternative to the hassles of the highways and the airports. The train has everything your car and the aircraft do not have: lots of room, comfort (no seat belts and no “attendants” constantly telling you what you may and may not do), and plenty to do and see.

Read though the postings on this forum to get a glimpse of what to expect. Be flexible when considering you schedule; don’t schedule tight connections. Relax and take your time. When you’re on the train, expect to meet all kinds of people you’ll not likely meet in the motels and airports, and expect a symphony of views through the window. Finally, retain an open mind. Train service in the U.S. is a legacy of the past, which has long fallen out of favor with our government. Many stations are tiny, dirty and cramped. The equipment can, in some cases, be tattered and worn. But since the tracks tend to traverse along people’s back yards rather than pass along their well-kept front yards, you can get a good look at why foreigners believe Americans have “too much stuff.”

With flexibility and tolerance, your trip will be relaxing and interesting; exactly the opposite of air and highway travel.

I would echo the sentiments of the above message. I think your kids will especially like the trip since they will be able to get up and move around, walk around the train, and see much more then they would be able to on an airplane or bus. As long as you plan for it to be an adventure, you will have a great time and get there just fine. If you can tell us which trains exactly you are going to be riding on, I'm sure that many people here would be willing to offer up lots of advice specific to those routes or stations. I just got back from a 30 day rail pass trip and just added quite a bit of info. to my "train travel tips" web page based on things I saw or did. It can be found by clicking on the link below. Some of it is based on planning a longer trip, but the sections on packing and what to expect while on the train should be helpful to you. Good luck!

Ben's Train Travel Tips

We bring some activity stuff with us to keep the kids busy. For our trip in June, we actually bought the little kits from the amtrak store on amtrak.com. You should also take some snacks with you-whatever your kids like (fruit rollups, hard candy) You might want to go light on the sugar so they don't bounce off the walls, and try to avoid anything that makes alot of crumbs. Don't forget to bring some medicine for the kids in case they need it (tylenol/benedryl) Anything that might induce sleep can have some nice benefits. If you are going through Chicago, there should still be a kids play area in the northbound waiting area which is enclosed to keep the noise down. If you end up with a long delay there, the Sears Tower is just down the street.

Guest_justus said:
We do have children traveling with us.  It will take us three days to get to our destination, East to West. We will be traveling Coach. Our layovers are a 2-hours long.
If you can possibly afford it I would recommend a family bedroom. It holds 2 adults and 2 children, there is only a single surcharge, and all meals are included. Three days is a long time for children in coach.

One thing to be aware of is that guaranteed connections only mean that they will get you to where you are going. Two hours is not a really long layover. If you miss a train at the mid point they may fly you to a station ahead of the train. Be prepared for that possibility.

In addition to what has been mentioned, I would also recomend eating at least one meal in the dining car. It can get pricey for a family of 5, but it's something that shouldn't be missed. Breakfast is usually the cheapest meal.

Also as someone else mentioned, if you can tell us what trains you're riding, then we might be able to give you a little more guidence. The train numbers or names will work.

Finally, I would suggest checking out this page from On Track On Line, which is chocked full of hints & tips for the first time rider.

Thanks so much for all the info each of you have provided. Also, the websites you each provided were very informative and the pics from Ben's

travels were so beautiful. I am really excite now more than terrified. We will be traveling from SC to DC, ORD, and then to TX. I am not sure of the

name of each Train, #92, 29 and then 21. Thanks again for your time and suggestions.

Mayre

:D

These are names of the trains you will be on.

#92 - "Silver Star"

#29 - "Capitol Limited"

#21 - "Texas Eagle"

Also feel free to visit my site with many photos and trip reports linked in my signature. That will also give you some more idea what's it's like to travel on Amtrak.

BTW, I feel that lunch is the best meal in the Dining Car in terms of riding in coach. While breakfast is cheap, in can be a bit of a rip off in value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back