First Time to Ride in Family Room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chandj

Service Attendant
We are headed to DC from Pittsburgh on Capitol Limited in June. I went out to book the trip and all I could get by way of a sleeper for 2 adults and a 2 year-old was the family room. We have taken the toddler in a bedroom sleeper before, but they were sold out for my date, so I took the family room. Now I am concerned that the proximity of the bathrooms and showers will mean noise, traffic, and even worse if the toilets fail. I would appreciate any input regarding the family room experience, as I could cancel and drive down on my own.

We are headed to DC from Pittsburgh on Capitol Limited in June. I went out to book the trip and all I could get by way of a sleeper for 2 adults and a 2 year-old was the family room. We have taken the toddler in a bedroom sleeper before, but they were sold out for my date, so I took the family room. Now I am concerned that the proximity of the bathrooms and showers will mean noise, traffic, and even worse if the toilets fail. I would appreciate any input regarding the family room experience, as I could cancel and drive down on my own.
Actually, in my experience there's more noise on the upper level where the regular bedrooms are, with people walking to and from the dining car and the sightseer lounge. Also, the only time I was in a sleeper where the toilets failed I wished I were in the family bedroom, as the toilet in my deluxe bedroom was far too close.

The toilets are at the H-room side of the car, the family room is at the opposite end. You have 2 roomettes on each side, the stairs & luggage rack, as well as the door to the outside world between you and the bathrooms & shower. If there is a problem that makes the bathrooms smelly so smelly as to reach you in the family room, it won't matter where in the car you are, you're probably going to notice.

You'll have far less foot traffic on the lower level, so that won't be an issue. You should be certain to lock your door when changing, as there have been occasions where people come barging in thinking that it's the door to the next car. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened.

You will hear more track noise than you would have in a bedroom however, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

The family bedroom is my favorite room on the Sleepers. Much less traffic than upstairs, windows out both sides of the car, proximity to the vestibule door and shower……..the only downside is that the view isn’t as great as being on the upper level. As I have mentioned in other posts, it is great for families because the adults can leave the door to the bedroom open and step out in to the vestibule and take a break, yet keep an eye on the kids back in the room.

I have never noticed a smell at all, nor do I ever remember being bothered by any noise since there is almost no foot traffic near your door. Having three bathrooms and a shower on the same level is actually a blessing.

You will hear more track noise than you would have in a bedroom however, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Then we all better get a Family Bedroom!!! I live off of track sounds. They provide meter to the events in life, a heartbeat that's similar to the ocean waves going in, going out, going in, going out.....

Then we all better get a Family Bedroom!!! I live off of track sounds. They provide meter to the events in life, a heartbeat that's similar to the ocean waves going in, going out, going in, going out.....
You don't need the family room for that, you just have to book Roomettes 11, 12, 13, or 14.

Thank you for the insights. I feel much better and will keep the family (and therefore the family) for the trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back