First Trip! Albany NY > Winter Haven FL, Any tips?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also travel on the Silver Meteor often. We have grandchildren living on Long Island, and when

they come to visit, my daughter ships the car seats to us via UPS which makes it easier to travel.

I can put the car seats in my car when they arrive. I ship the seats home after they leave - along

with all of the things they forgot!! The southbound Meteor usually runs at or near schedule, but

the northbound Meteor has been running late into NYP. Happy Travels.

UPDATE: I just looked at the Lake Shore Limited schedule to NYP. The only problem with checking your bag in Albany like others have suggested, the only train leaving ALB with checked luggage is the Lake Shore Limited which gets into NYP after your train leaves, so your checked bags would be a day late getting to Florida. So definitely wait until you get to NYP to check the bags. When you get to NYP and have a red cap, let him know that you want to check some of your stuff and he can direct you or take you to the counter directly.
Yeah, that's why I suggested checking the bags at Albany the day before.

UPDATE: I just looked at the Lake Shore Limited schedule to NYP. The only problem with checking your bag in Albany like others have suggested, the only train leaving ALB with checked luggage is the Lake Shore Limited which gets into NYP after your train leaves, so your checked bags would be a day late getting to Florida. So definitely wait until you get to NYP to check the bags. When you get to NYP and have a red cap, let him know that you want to check some of your stuff and he can direct you or take you to the counter directly.
Yeah, that's why I suggested checking the bags at Albany the day before.
I know Ryan, but the OP needs the car seats until when they get to the station, so I just wanted to make sure they realized that they would have to wait a day at the other end for the checked stuff.

Only issues I have is the parking lot in Albany is a pay lot, with the cheaper spots a bit of a walk to the station. You may want to drop off a adult with the bags, and some or all of the kids at the station, then have the other adult walk with the rest of the family to the station.

The car seats (in station) should be strap on to a roller bag, for easy of movement. I have used the kids strap looped around the handle. Makes a wide load, but that's family travel.

I really don't see a issues or need to check bagged before NYC. Or to buy more car seats.

The only advice (other than what was said above) is to relax and have fun! It should be a great trip.

I will disagree with the earplugs, I don't think they're necessary at all.
And I disagree with Ryan. I am unable to sleep on a train without earplugs in a sleeper. Only you know if you are a light sleeper or a heavy sleeper and how hard it is for you, your kids, and your H to fall asleep. I just don't see the harm in packing a package of earplugs that costs $1.99 at CVS.

Ok, you said you didn't think earplugs were necessary. To me, that meant that you don't bring them. Semantics i guess. I will always recommend ear plugs on a train. You can go without and suffer. :p

Jesus Christ. I just said that I didn't think that they were necessary. I meant that I didn't find them necessary. I sleep just fine on the train without them. If you need them, more power to you.

I couldn't possibly care less if you or anybody else pack them or use them, there's no cause to be rude about it.

Are ear plugs available in the cafe cars or did I see earbuds? Or am I just seeing things?

One piece of advice I like to give first-timers....take the train to enjoy the VIEW of America, and the experience of riding the train, zipping along the rails. Do NOT expect it to be a "first class ambiance" like I still remember riding on in 1960 from Washington D.C. to Orlando and back in the sleeping car. Now, I always assume the onboard staff will be indifferent at best and somewhat surly at worst. If they are instead cheerful, so much the better. But the point is, do not let the staff's "attitude" [if any] affect YOU and your enjoyment of the train ride and the wonderful scenery....one of the great fun moments, look out your window as you pass through small southern towns at night--- and you will pass cars stopped at the crossing gates and the red lights are flashing...and YOU are on the other side of the railroad gates this time, inside the train!

Whooping cough is terrifying. I had it a couple of years ago. I hope you feel better soon!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the feedback and info, it is making me feel much better about being able to make this all work and be an amazing family adventure. The tips have been much appreciated.

We've decided to throw caution to the wind and schlep the carseats with us, if we can check them at NYP, great, if not, we'll figure something out. I've been looking at videos of the Viewliner bedrooms trying to get an idea of how big the overhead storage areas are. The seat isn't a huge one, so I'm wondering if we could jam it in there somehow. I even figured we could store it in the bathroom and just take it out to use the facilities... worst case scenario, that is. LOL!

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge. Any additional tips, info, well, pretty much anything, are more than welcome! :) We are all so excited to go on this adventure, we can't wait!

Regarding the car seat (or any large piece of luggage) and the lack of luggage space in Viewliners, there is also the possibility of sneaking it into the community luggage rack or the large open space at the end of the nearest coach.

Paul, in the Viewliners there is no community luggage rack, only in the Superliners. There is a community luggage rack in the coaches, but I don't know that I would go through all that effort. In the Viewliner bedroom there is quite a bit of space over the bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back