First Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

randad

Am planning my first trip by Amtrak with friend and her 10-year-old son. Going from eastern NC to New York City in late June or early July. Trying to figure out what type seating or accommodation to get. My friend has a chronic back problem which is aggravated by sitting upright for long periods of time. Trying to decide whether business class seating will provide her enough room to recline or whether we should get a viewliner standard sleeper. Any info would be of great assistance. Also, we have several options for departure stations including Hamlet, NC; Dillon, SC; Fayetteville, NC; Selma, NC; Rocky Mount, NC. Any info for which one of these would be best from Wilmington, NC would also help. I know nothing about different routes and train accommodations other than what I see on this site and Amtrak's site.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips for the first-time rail traveler!

I am willing to bet that if your friend has a chronic back problem that cannot withstand being upright for long periods, the recline in a business class seat will not be sufficient. Others here will be able to respond better about just what kind of business class seating is available on the eastern train you are referring to, but that is just my preliminary thought.

The Carolinian and Palmetto are the only trains with Business Class that pass through Eastern North Carolina. Neither of these trains have sleeping accomidations. I have taken the Carolinian many times in Business Class and have never had a bad trip. I have never been on the Palmetto. These trains make stops in Fayetteville, Selma, Wilson, and Rocky Mt. The Carolinian also stops in Raleigh.

The "Silver" service train(s) have sleeping accomidations. These trains stop in Rocky Mt., and do not stop in Wilson or Selma. I think one of the two trains stops in Fayetteville.

Rocky Mt. is a wonderful old restored station with secure parking. Wilson also has an excellent restored station. I would imagine that Fayetteville is the closest station to Wilmington - I have never been to the Fayetteville station.

Anyway the Crescent's stops would work for you? It has Viewliners. Its S.C. stops are Clemson, Greenville, Spartanburg. It's N.C. stops are Gastonia, Charlotte, Salisbury, High Point, Greensboro. It passes through those places late at night and early in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back