Five coaches on the Crescent!?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I just saw a late #19 approach NOL. She was running nearly four hours late. Anyway, the train had a typical consist, but it had five coaches. I've seen four most often, three sometimes during off peak times, but this was the first time i've seen five. Perhaps it was a dead head car to NOL or something?

Regarding the lateness of the train, 4 hours is pretty late for the Crescent, which usually has pretty good OTP. I wonder what happened today?

Things were screwed up in virginia on wednesday. The Palmetto, Carolinian, and NB Silver Star were all waiting in richmond, and later in DC. When The Star finally went through, at nearly 6 PM, we passed by the SB Star and SB Auto train.

Everyone's late, it would seem.

29(29) is estimated about three hours late into CHI as I type. 30(29) is estimated about an hour late into WAS as I type.

Sam Damon said:
Everyone's late, it would seem.
That's nothing compared to what is going on here on the west coast. The Coast StarLATE has been averaging 11-12 hours late into its endpoints for the past few weeks and the California Zephyr and Sunset Limited (all hosted by the YouPee RR) have not been doing much better. On a positive note the Southwest Chief and Empire Builder have been operating ON TIME most of the time as usual (thanks BNSF).

YouPee has it down and screws the StarLATE badly every single summer when ridership is at its peak. I don't know how it keeps such strong ridership when this is always the case (half day delays during the summer and constant washouts and disruptions during the winter).

you are so right about the coast starlight. we had had to annulled at Portland cause we wasnt going to make it to Seattle and then turn around and be 5 hours coming in to LA (in meaning today.......it will be 3 hours late leaving LA

Just in case anyone is curious, here is the month-to-date (as of July 25) OTP for selected trains:

California Zephyr: 10.4%

Capitol Limited: 8.3%

Crescent: 23.4%

Silver Service (including Palmetto): 1.4%

Empire Builder: 68.4%

Southwest Chief: 68.8%

As for the Coast Starlight and Sunset Limited, I'll give everyone three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Back