Flyer/Eagle multiple times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortline

Conductor
Busy January for me. Not unusual, but it is unusu to have multiple trips to an area I can get I by train-flew OKC-MKA for a Dec 31 meeting, since my son was out of school, he came along. Fast, whirlwind trip-airport was a zoo, but then so was Union Station, I think the plane, and train were sold out.

When I do train for business, I typically take it outbound and fly home, but due to sold out roomettes we left from Will Rogers airport early on the 30th, via STL to MIlwaukee, where we jumped in the rental car, and shot over to Madison. Checked into a suite at the Crowne Plaza (upgrade, kiddo was impressed!) and got him set up with some lunch, before I headed off to a brief meeting. After work was complete we enjoyed all that Wisconsin has to offer, namely fried cheese curds, and beer for me. Did a little swimming, watche a movie and got him into bed at a reasonable time, for us to get up and head back to MKA. Grabbed Starbucks from the lobby (again, he was mucho impressed to have a Starbucks "Right in the lobby!) an drive to Mileaukee to drop the rental car and catch a shuttle over to the MKA stop to catch the Hiawatha on New Years Eve.

Hiawatha was on time, and surprisingly not very busy...expected it to be full with people heading into Chi for New Years. Maybe the later trains were busy but the 7:10 wasn't.

Grabbed the requisite Chicago Dog, and walked around the station a bit, borded the TE, and grade South on time. He has been on 3 overnight trips now, and really enjoys it. Service on board was as usual, he had the shirt ribs, I the steak, generally enjoyed the ride, and the chance to spend some quality time with him. I'm gone a lot, so these opportunities are important!

Got to FTW early, which is disappointing, since our connection to OKC, the Heartland Flyer, doesn't leave until 5:25 giving us a long layover. FTW is a nice new station, but not much fun for 5 hours....seeing we were coming in early, true to get a rental car from the Enterprise, but they were closed (New years Day) and the airport location price were astronomical for a same day one way rental. Sucked it up, waited for the Flyer, and got homeon time tired from the whirlwind trip, that he really enjoyed.

Great report and I have made that dreaded Eagle to Flyer connection many times; I always pray the Eagle is about 3 hours late to smooth it out as the FTWIRT is not a fun place to kill a layover. Now if you have time and don't mind shelling out a few dollars to dump bags you can head north a few blocks for beer at the Flying Saucer or browse books and mags at the Barnes & Noble across from there.

The flowing week, I had another short notice trip, this time to Kalamazoo. Scored a low bucket ticket on the Flyer, Eagle, and blue Water one way. Was solo thi time, and enjoyed the quiet. Spent most of my time in the roomette, working during the day, and drowning limes in Gin and Tonic and watching a movie in the evening. Another on time, as expected trip. Only downside was the SCA was all but worthless. I did not see him much, which is fine with me frankly, but the next morning at breakfast I was talking to my table mate, who was in sleeper for the first time-he asked about the shower-he said he found it by accident, but didn't know if he was allowed to use it-the SCA didn't explain much to him either I guess. Other than that, it was neat blazing through the "Polar Vortex" and watching the snow blow. A little late into CHI but plenty of time to catch the Blue Water, for the short Trip in Business Class, to KAL.

Another uneventful trip for the most part, other than the snow-vestibules filled up quick, and a slow moving glacier started to form at the front door of the BC/Cafe car. About an hour into the trip it was pretty impressive in size. Apparently it was also melting....right by the electrical cabinet door......I heard a few loud pops, saw a haze in the air, and the two women up front jumped up an ran back to the cafe to talk to the cafe guy-he came, took a look, opened the cabinet, but didn't seem too concerned. Smelled like smoky ozone for a while, but nothing else happened before I got off in KAL. Gotta love winter. Did my thing, and caught a Delta flight home to Warner weather a few days later.

Currently on a RT now, sitting in Giordanos waiting for 21, will post on that one later. 4 overnight train trips in a month-A new record for me I think.

Always stay at the Holiday Inn on University. They have an Old Burdicks right there that's pretty good. Also always make a point to eat at Saffron, they have a great Lamb Vindaloo. Also tried the Mediterranean place right nearby, forget the name but it was great too!

I love Burdick's! The main location is downtown, and it's really nice. It's right next to the Radisson.

You probably ate at Zooroona. It's right next to Saffron. I LOVE Zooroona - it's my favorite restaurant in KAL - but I've never been to Saffron.

You weren't far from my house. When you're at Zooroona, you just go down West Main hill, past the cemetery, and my neighborhood is between that hill and the railroad tracks. :)

Still sitting in the Met lounge nearly 30 min past scheduled departure for the Southbound Eagle. Used some of the time to cancell my FTW-OKC portion, decided to rent a car and drive instead, and get home 5 hours earlier. (Assuming we do get in on time). Got a voucher for all of. $4.50.....ok....

Anyway, 21 is delayed for a bad order diner they're switching it out. An hour ago they said they would delay boarding for an hour....now it's another hour. Guess we'll see!

Back