Folding bike fiasco on long distance trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After complaints, Amtrak clarifies: folding bikes always allowed as carry-ons

A late-night incident in which Amtrak workers awoke two Portlanders to tell them, incorrectly, that their folding bikes weren't allowed as carry-ons has led the agency to clarify its policy.

Amtrak spokeswoman Vernae Graham said last week that every passenger car in the system allows folding bicycles as carry-on luggage "if they fit the dimensions described in the policy and can fit in the areas designated for carry on baggage or bikes."

The maximum dimensions are 34 inches by 15 inches by 48 inches, as stated in Amtrak's policy. Mass-market folding bikes meet those constraints, Dean Mullin of local shop Clever Cycles said Wednesday.

After complaints, Amtrak clarifies: folding bikes always allowed as carry-ons

A late-night incident in which Amtrak workers awoke two Portlanders to tell them, incorrectly, that their folding bikes weren't allowed as carry-ons has led the agency to clarify its policy.

Amtrak spokeswoman Vernae Graham said last week that every passenger car in the system allows folding bicycles as carry-on luggage "if they fit the dimensions described in the policy and can fit in the areas designated for carry on baggage or bikes."

The maximum dimensions are 34 inches by 15 inches by 48 inches, as stated in Amtrak's policy. Mass-market folding bikes meet those constraints, Dean Mullin of local shop Clever Cycles said Wednesday.
I find this part of that article interesting:

Blue adds that she has "cautious optimism" about further improvements at Amtrak with regard to bikes, starting with the launch last week of an automated interactive guide for Amtrak staff called "Super Julie"
Anyone have insight on what "Super Julie" is? I suspect "she" is a new OBS application on the I-Phones that Amtrak uses for its staff, and is a de-facto replacement of the "Blue Book" from this point forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back