Food - Glorious Food!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckysBarn

Lead Service Attendant
All this talk about new menus, which I've downloaded, made me look at my schedule for my trip. Assuming trains are on time, will breakfast be served on the SWC before arrival into LAX? And on the return trip, when I board at SJC about 8:30pm on the CS northbound, will I have time for dinner? Just trying to figure out how many pounds of nuts & berries I'll need. :giggle:

All this talk about new menus, which I've downloaded, made me look at my schedule for my trip. Assuming trains are on time, will breakfast be served on the SWC before arrival into LAX? And on the return trip, when I board at SJC about 8:30pm on the CS northbound, will I have time for dinner? Just trying to figure out how many pounds of nuts & berries I'll need. :giggle:
On the Southwest Chief there's a very abbreviated breakfast very early (5:30 a.m., I think). They don't fire up the grill, so you're limited to cold cereal. I preferred to wait for a French dip sandwich at Philippe's.

Yes, you do get breakfast coming into LAX on #3, however you will have to get up at the crack of dawn to partake in it. If they are on-time into LAX, they start serving at 5AM to 6PM PT (depending on the LSA -- some start at 5AM others at 5:30AM) and they only do one serving. Because of the early hour they make no announcements about breakfast so you'll have to set your alarm and go on your own. They also do not fire up the grill - so no omlets or anything good.

Personally, being someone who hates getting up early, I perfer to sleep in and go and get some breakfast once I get to LAX. Of course the most famous breakfast spot is Felipe's, home of the French Dipped Sandwitch -- which is sorta north of the station. They have pretty good grub and you can either get breakfast food or the French Dip even at the early hour. Last time I was there I got a turkey french dip which was pretty good.

I am also a big fan of Union Bagel in the station too -- I love the salt, onion, or garlic bagels. I usually eat at Felipe's and then grab a few bagels to go.

You are probably cutting it too close for dinner at 8:30PM, but maybe you can get in on last call.... IF the LSA is going to offer a last call.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure hope you make it Becky. I take Amtrak just to partake of the wonderful meals, succulent steaks, luscious desserts and meticulous white gloved service. No trip is too far, no price is too much, no grade is too steep! "Nothin could be finer than to dine inside the diner in the morrrrrrnin!"

Well, the last time I was on the SWC westbound in May I ate french toast the last morning, very early. But it was good and it was french toast. So if the grill was not fired up, I'm not sure where else it might have come from??

I'll set my alarm and hope for French toast! But just in case, I'll make sure I have some kind of snacks to go with the coffee before we get into LAX. I'll plan on having dinner before I board at SJC, maybe they'll be some dessert on board.

If the westbound Chief is running late, then they'll stretch out breakfast in which case you can nip off a little more sleep, unless you're like me, up and dressed scratching on the Diner door at 6 :p

On the Southwest Chief there's a very abbreviated breakfast very early (5:30 a.m., I think). They don't fire up the grill, so you're limited to cold cereal. I preferred to wait for a French dip sandwich at Philippe's.
They served breakfast near Kingsman, AZ, about 6 hours or so from LA, and it was about 8 or 9 in the morning. Maybe thats because the train was massively delayed...

Well, the last time I was on the SWC westbound in May I ate french toast the last morning, very early. But it was good and it was french toast. So if the grill was not fired up, I'm not sure where else it might have come from??
The French Toast comes out of the freezer and goes into the convection oven. The better chefs start it in the convection oven and then throw it onto the grill, at least when it is fired up.

Also, if the train is running on time, then the rule seems to be to not fire up the grill. However, if the train is running an hour or so late, they will usually fire up the grill in those cases.

I'll set my alarm and hope for French toast! But just in case, I'll make sure I have some kind of snacks to go with the coffee before we get into LAX. I'll plan on having dinner before I board at SJC, maybe they'll be some dessert on board.
I did SJC to TAC in a roomette back in September and was told to head to the dining car as soon as I boarded. However, not wanting to risk possibly missing dinner, I had already eaten at the Chipotle just down the street. This particular train was about 10 min early into SJC so I don't know what the cut-off time is for allowing pax boarding at SJC dinner. I settled for a nice scotch in a nearly empty PPC instead. :)

Enjoy your trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back