Food on amtrak between Toledo and Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerRock

Engineer
In two weeks I will most likely be taking an Amtrak train between Toledo, OH and Boston, MA (I haven't finalized the route yet, it'll be what ever is cheapest)

My question is I have the options of going:

via Albany

vua Philly

via DC

for the thee what are my dining choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I would love to try out the CCC menue, but i am not sure if it is available on any of the trains.

peter

Well the Philly option offers the worst food choices, as you only have a cafe car from Pittsburgh to Philly. It's just the typical Amtrak cafe food.

The Lake Shore gets you Diner-Lite, a modified SDS menu where nothing is cooked on the grill since there is no grill. But you do have appetizers on the menu. After Albany though, for dinner, you're back to typical Amtrak cafe food.

Going via DC gets you a full diner, with the newly revised SDS menu that is an improvement over the older version. You'd only get breakfast and lunch on the Capitol, and then would either have to hope that you have time to buy something in WUS, or settle for cafe food for dinner on the way to Boston. It's also important to note that the Capitol connects to the last same day train to Boston. While it does make that connection most of the time, there have been many failures to connect.

On the OTOL fest last summer, we just barely connected and then only because they held the Regional for almost a half an hour just for us. Missing that train won't strand you in DC for the night, but you will end up on the 10:00 PM overnight departure train #66, which gets into Boston the next morning at 7:52 AM. By the way, the normal connecting train doesn't hit Boston till almost midnight as it is. So you may wish to factor that into the equation.

What kind of rolling stock does 66 use? Amfleet Is only? Amfleet Is with an Amfleet II business? I think thats what it used when it was still called the Twilight Shoreliner. If thats what it uses, go with business. Easier to sleep on it.

Trains 66/67 use only Amfleet I equipment and to my knowledge have never used Amfleet II equipment. At one point of course they did have a Viewliner sleeping car, but otherwise they've only run with Amfleet I equipment.

The BC car is one of the Club-Dinette cars, former Metroliner FC cars with the 2 & 1 seating. Seating that IMHO is superior to even that on the Amfleet II equipment.

well so far I'm thinking of going via DC. for all three I get in after the last train to NH leaves so catching a connecting triain doesn't matter much (I get a relative to come down ad get me.) The Diner with the SDS menue sounds worth while (last time I took any of those trains it had a full diner with the regular menue) I generally bring my own food, but try and have atleast one meal from AMTK. My other reason for picking DC, is that it'll hopefully give me a chance to snap some pics of #1001, Beach Grove (one of my fav cars)

peter

My other reason for picking DC, is that it'll hopefully give me a chance to snap some pics of #1001, Beach Grove (one of my fav cars)
Be careful doing that, as they seem to have gotten a bit paranoid down there in DC of late. NY is the prime target, but DC has gone nuts on security.

My other reason for picking DC, is that it'll hopefully give me a chance to snap some pics of #1001, Beach Grove (one of my fav cars)
Be careful doing that, as they seem to have gotten a bit paranoid down there in DC of late. NY is the prime target, but DC has gone nuts on security.
I'll second that. If seeing the Beech Grove is 50% of your reasoning, throw that out of the window, because I'd give you a 15% chance of being able to snap a picture of the car, and here's why:

1). The car isn't always parked in-station. In fact, since Gunn and Hughes left (both of whom loved the car), I've noticed that it's not in the station as much as it used to be. If it is, it's always on track 18 (I think I've got that right; regardless, it's closest to the eastern upper-platform station door).

2). As Alan notes, security—especially on the platforms—has been seriously beefed up. They don't just not like you taking pictures—they don't like you dawdling at all. Either you're getting off a train, or you're getting on.

3). Tracks 17 and 18 (again, I'm foggy but I think those are the upper-end numbers for the upper platforms) are now physically quarantined off from the rest of the upper-level tracks with a swinging cast iron gate that is almost always closed. Since the upper platform is routinely patrolled by Amtrak Police, Red Caps, and other station personnel, you'll be noticed if you start wandering over to track 18 to take a look at the BG if it's there.

I hate to be such a drag, but I'd hate for you to get your hopes up and then be let down. Now, there's nothing wrong with just asking someone if it's okay if you snap a picture if you get noticed. You may get lucky and get someone who's willing to walk you over, but odds are they're going to politely say no, unfortunately. The other way to get a picture of the BG if it's in-station is to be boarding or detraining a train that's on the adjacent track. That's almost exclusively going to be an Acela, however, and I don't believe that that would be your connecting train.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second that. If seeing the Beech Grove is 50% of your reasoning, throw that out of the window, because I'd give you a 15% chance of being able to snap a picture of the car, and here's why:
Its more like 25%....(price, food, departure time, and #1001; oh thats in no particular order)

it can never hurt to ask; wores they can say is "no." I can also try playing the I'm trying to model it for Trainz card... which would actually be all that false; I have a friend who at one point in time was working on modeling it for me.

peter

Car 1001, Beach Grove:

amt10001f.jpg

peter

What is the thing with the wiper on top?
Most of us call that a window. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, sort of, but to be more precise it's a "camera pod". It doesn't let any light into the car or provide any direct view out, as you can see here or here.

I think it provides video for the monitor you can see above the left window (which I gather has multiple channels, one of which is the "camera pod" video and another of which is a map of the train's route as seen here). Though with the large windows providing basically the same view, I'm not sure why this is necessary! Maybe there are other screens elsewhere in the car for the benefit of passengers who didn't win the "rush for the comfy couch seats" :lol:

(I got the term "camera pod" from this trainorders thread.)

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the thing with the wiper on top?
Most of us call that a window. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, sort of, but to be more precise it's a "camera pod". It doesn't let any light into the car or provide any direct view out, as you can see here or here.

I think it provides video for the monitor you can see above the left window (which I gather has multiple channels, one of which is the "camera pod" video and another of which is a map of the train's route as seen here). Though with the large windows providing basically the same view, I'm not sure why this is necessary! Maybe there are other screens elsewhere in the car for the benefit of passengers who didn't win the "rush for the comfy couch seats" :lol:

(I got the term "camera pod" from this trainorders thread.)
That car looks like someone's living room, complete with the couch and TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back