Food quality? East vs south vs west?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lounge Car sells half-bottles of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay, Hahn Cabernet Sauvignon, and Cavit Pinot Grigio. I have not traveled a train with a dining car recently, but the Amtrak website says the dining car wine selection varies.

Also, if you have a private room, you may consume alcohol you brought on board, but it only may be consumed in your room.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dining car food reminds me of Applebee's. It isn't incredible, but it's not bad either.
I have to agree entirely with SarahZ about the Applebee's comparison. I eat steak infrequently so I remember it pretty well when I do. I've had steak at Applebee's twice, and at traditional steakhouses more than a few times. I like both but they are certainly different. Applebee's says their steaks are choice; at a traditional steakhouse it is going to be prime.

So where does Amtrak's steak fall? Totally into the Applebee's category. With this notable difference: you can get the 9 oz. sirloin at Applebee's for $12.99; list price for the Amtrak version appears to be $24.75.

For me - I usually get the odd food on the menu.

Honestly, for the train it is good. However, it is more expensive than it should be, but then again if it was cheap enough the entire train would want food and they'd sell out.

I'd give it a 3 stars out of 5. It's good food, and you pay more so that everyone on the train isn't trying to use the dining car.

Honestly, for the train it is good. However, it is more expensive than it should be, but then again if it was cheap enough the entire train would want food and they'd sell out.

I'd give it a 3 stars out of 5. It's good food, and you pay more so that everyone on the train isn't trying to use the dining car.
Odd food, like, what?

Odd food, like, what?
Like, I usually get the specials that aren't on the menu, and food that most people don't get.

I never, ever, get the steak.

H

Odd food, like, what?
Like, I usually get the specials that aren't on the menu, and food that most people don't get.

Why? How come?

H

Odd food, like, what?

Why? How come?
My least favorite food (ever since I was little) is steak. No idea why, I just really don't like steak.

I just took a look at it, thank you. I would be interested in trying a lamb shank! I am not too fond of red meat, myself.

The coast starlight is the only train that serves lamb shank, and only offered in the parlor car during dinner.

I ended up getting the lamb shank once because I was in the middle of an 8 day train trip and I wanted something a bit different!

But it is healthier than beef. I eat primarily lamb and goat meat. Beef is too heavy for me.

The dining car has been compared to Denny's by some on this forum.
Except that Denny's can make your eggs any way you want them while Amtrak cannot.

The dining car food reminds me of Applebee's.
Applebee's doesn't serve dry precooked-refrozen-reheated burgers like Amtrak does.

Food in the dining car is excellent. All of it seems to be made to order...
Only selections with an asterisk next to the menu item are cooked to order. On the CZ this is limited to eggs for breakfast and steak or fish for dinner. There is not even one single lunch selection which is cooked to order on the CZ.

The coast starlight is the only train that serves lamb shank, and only offered in the parlor car during dinner.
Oh darn.
Most of those photos have nothing to do with today's California Zephyr menu. The exceptions are the dry precooked burger, the scrambled eggs, the salad, and the cereal. The person who suggested that thread sent you on a wild goose chase of false hope and nonsense. Amtrak dining cars are almost identical in quality and selection to my grandfather's retirement home. If you've ever had a meal in a retirement home you'll know exactly what to expect from Amtrak.

The dining car has been compared to Denny's by some on this forum.
Except that Denny's can make your eggs any way you want them while Amtrak cannot.

The dining car food reminds me of Applebee's.
Applebee's doesn't serve dry precooked-refrozen-reheated burgers like Amtrak does.

Food in the dining car is excellent. All of it seems to be made to order...
Only selections with an asterisk next to the menu item are cooked to order. On the CZ this is limited to eggs for breakfast and steak or fish for dinner. There is not even one single lunch selection which is cooked to order on the CZ.

Oh darn.
Most of those photos have nothing to do with today's California Zephyr menu. The exceptions are the dry precooked burger, the scrambled eggs, the salad, and the cereal. The person who suggested that thread sent you on a wild goose chase of false hope and nonsense. Amtrak dining cars are almost identical in quality and selection to my grandfather's retirement home. If you've ever had a meal in a retirement home you'll know exactly what to expect from Amtrak.
Sadness.

I would not expect too much, and you may be pleasantly surprised. Most people think Amtrak diner food is adequate. I am picky and have food allergies and I will eat some of the entrees. DA, I have had many meals in retirement homes in the last few years. Most were adequate, a few were good, and only one was not edible.

Honestly, the meals I had on the CZ and Southwest Chief were fine. If I had to have them every day I would get tired of them pretty quickly, but the experience of eating in the dinner is kind of fun, and the quality of the food itself is not at all the nightmare scenario you may be imagining. But, it's my understanding that dining car food used to be quite a bit better in the past. Nevertheless, it's nothing to fear, and I'm sure you will find some things you enjoy! I hope I get to enjoy a dining car again sometime soon.

The breakfast burrito is on some of the express type diners and was available on the CZ in the cafe in the Sightseer Lounge two weeks ago when I rode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back