For Once! New-To-Amtrak Rider enjoyed his journey!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
Co-worker found out I was the oddball taking the train south from BAL to ORL for our company's annual conference, and he ended up sharing my roomette. ("Yes" we both got bonus AGR points!)

His home-land is India, so he is no stranger to overnight trains, but had never taken Amtrak, outside of NEC, before.

We met in DC, and boarded. He came very late, so his luggage couldn't be checked, but luckily fit in the "attic" of the roomette.

The Meteor had a heritage diner, and the crew and service was average in the diner. The steak was actually pretty good.

My co-worker was fascinated by the "backyard" scenery, and all of the businesses that "at one time" had a spur or siding servicing them. Our TA-S was great, young kid, been out on the road for two years. He had not yet succumbed to many of the bad habits that some of the old-heads pass down.

After a bottle of wine, (personal stash) it was time for bed. Had one of the best night's rest ever on a train, didn't even need the (wrapped) blanket. Good hot shower in the AM, breakfast of omelet and grits, and a lot of coffee, started the day. Slept right thru lunch, and arrived in ORL almost on time.

Saw fellow AU-er Penny at the ORL station, getting ready to head north for an OTOL meeting of some sort.

All in all, a good trip, and probably a new Amtrak rider, as he has a family with young kids, he is strongly considering the Auto Train.

Amtrak wins one, for once. For me, it truly is the first time, in over a dozen times, that I have "talked it up" (with caveats) that the passenger was thrilled with the experience. Maybe because this guy talks as much, or more, than I do. (He even talked me to sleep.............. :)

chandra on train.JPG

jp snoozing.jpg

viewliner bag.JPG

Of course, I enjoyed saying hi to you and your co-worker in ORL. It is good to hear that he enjoyed the trip. I am glad I am back in Florida when I see what kind of weather you guys have in store. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"For Once! New-To-Amtrak Rider enjoyed his journey!"

Although I have no statistics, facts, or other information to back me up (but when did that stop anyone?), I would guess that the new-to-Amtrak riders enjoy their journeys more often than not. Well, I do have one data point: me. When I was new to Amtrak, I did enjoy my journey.

It is nice to have a satisfactory journey publicized, as a counter-point to the too-often disasters.

Many years ago, I read that having a major appliance fail immediately after delivery was news in the US but not in the USSR. It was unusual in the US and it was common in the USSR. I have no idea if the assertion was true, but the message was that unusual things make the news and common things don't. Without diminishing any of Amtrak's opportunities to improve, I hope that the tales of disasters get publicized because they are rare.

Great to read! And getting me pumped for my upcoming trip! Met so many great people on the train. Looking forward to meeting more.

I've enjoyed every Amtrak trip I've ever taken...starting with the Cardinal back in the 60's, and now pushing 100 LD trips all over the country. Doing my 22nd EB trip from CBS-PDX in early April. Some were more memorable than others, but I have loved every minute so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back