For Sale!!!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Amtrak has avalible for sale five carsets of modular interior dining kits. The kit was originally designed to fit standard dimensional budd stainless steel car bodies. Each kit is designed to provide a 36 seat first class dining section and a 8 seat counter bar in a rose and a moss color scheme. The kit includes a full stainless steel kitchen and serving bar. The stainless steel kitchen is equipped with FDA approved double sinks, self-contained refrigerator/freezer using F404A refrigerant and state of the art grile and exhaust with fire extinguishing system. The servicing bar is complete with sink, refrigeration, refrigerated display cases and maitre'd work station. The modules are designed to be installed with complete floor, sidewalls, and ceiling structures which are included in the kit. This ad from Amtrak manager material disposal as advertised in the Nov. 2002 Railway Age. And they are also selling their express equipment in the same issue. Thx, ACR

Too bad they don't restore just one more pair of Heritage fleet Budd diners and equip the poor Three Rivers with proper First class food service. There are plenty of retired Amtrak Budd diners lurking about...

cbaker said:
Too bad they don't restore just one more pair of Heritage fleet Budd diners and equip the poor Three Rivers with proper First class food service. There are plenty of retired Amtrak Budd diners lurking about...
I agree, or even if they could get 8400 to work properly, then they'd only need one diner.

We need a Viewliner Fleet!!!! B)

:unsure: Did Amtrak buy too many rebuild kits or did they just scale back the number of dinners to be rebuild? Are still rebuilding the dinners? I have yet to ride the Lake Shore Limited with an rebuild dinner. I have seen the photos they look nice. Are they get rid of the dinning cars? Just thinking. ;)

One, they may have ordered one to many or two, Heritage diner refurbishment was halted to get the more important Superliners out of Beech Grove (the more likely case).

AlanB said:
Or three, they ran out of money to continue the work. :( (Most likely)
They probably used any capital for that (temoinsa) program for the Superliners, so the pressure can be relieved from the Superliner fleet.

Hey, they've made it this long, so they should be fine, especially since they're all Budd/Pullman-Standard Built, so you know its quality.

I believe, although I'm not positive, that they stopped the Temionsa rebuilds several months ago. In fact I think that they stopped the rebuilds even before David Gunn took over. It was simple lack of money that stopped the program and it had nothing to do with the current Superliner fix up program.

Now while I wouldn't want to bet on it, despite Budd's reputation, I wouldn't be surprised if David Gunn has ordered the remaining kits sold. He probably wouldn't want to invest more money in 30-plus-year-old equipment. After all there is a finite amount of time you can keep this equipment on the road. I suspect that David is hoping and hedging his bets that he'll get some money to buy some new equipment in a few years.

Amtrak does not operate any Pullman-Standard single level diners. All the Heritage diners are of Budd descent.

AlanB said:
I believe, although I'm not positive, that they stopped the Temionsa rebuilds several months ago. In fact I think that they stopped the rebuilds even before David Gunn took over. It was simple lack of money that stopped the program and it had nothing to do with the current Superliner fix up program.
Now while I wouldn't want to bet on it, despite Budd's reputation, I wouldn't be surprised if David Gunn has ordered the remaining kits sold. He probably wouldn't want to invest more money in 30-plus-year-old equipment. After all there is a finite amount of time you can keep this equipment on the road. I suspect that David is hoping and hedging his bets that he'll get some money to buy some new equipment in a few years.
Hopefully New Viewliners :)

Okay, but still bud has a good reputation for their equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back