For scenery on the Starlight; which direction?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

ohmark

Would you recommend northbound or southbound on the Coast Starlight for scenery viewing? Does it matter where on the train you are located?

Also, we live in the midwest. Do you think it is worth a flight to and from the west coast for the exclusive purpose of taking the Starlight in one direction? We have never taken a long distance train before, as adults.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

NORTHBOUND BY FAR

I take 11/14 every six-eight weeks. Just got off 11 last night (which was on-time into LA). The train ride is the best in the country. LA-Seattle gives you 2 great mornings on the train, the coast and the next morning waking up in the mountains of southern Oregon. Getting a room is a MUST, since this is a one time trip for you, being able to sit in the Palour car is something you wont forget, wine tastings etc etc.

I'm actually an airline pilot but taking this train to see family in San Jose or Portland from my home in San Diego is something I always look forward too. Its pretty scarry I was talking to some people in the Palour car last night and I realized I've been taking the CS for over 18 years and I'm only 34 as it is!

Like any other train book your ticket well in advance because the fares vary greatly although I have on occasion been able to book the lowest sleeper fare close to departure.

Where in the midwest are you? There are other Amtrak longhaul trains, too such as Los Angeles-New Orleans/Orlando, Los Angeles-Chicago, Emeryville/San Francisco-Chicago, Portland/Seattle-Chicago that might pass by much closer to your city. A ride on the daily California Zephyr from Denver to Grand Junction and back, for example, passes through the Rocky Mountains and Glenwood Canyon, some of the most beautiful scenery in the nation. There are other scenic rides, too.

While I greatly enjoy riding Amtrak and the Coast Starlight is a nice, scenic ride, I could not justify flying somewhere *just* to take a train ride and then flying back. I always work the trains into my vacation destination plans.

jccollins said:
While I greatly enjoy riding Amtrak and the Coast Starlight is a nice, scenic ride, I could not justify flying somewhere *just* to take a train ride and then flying back.  I always work the trains into my vacation destination plans.
Aloha JC

But I always have to fly to take a train :eek: :p :D :lol:

I have had the pleasure northbound twice all the way north, only once SB from SF.

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
NORTHBOUND BY FAR

I'm actually an airline pilot but taking this train to see family in San Jose or Portland from my home in San Diego is something I always look forward too.
I'm becoming a pilot too. Who do you work for? Send me a PM or email if you want to.

But yes Northbound is the best. I took it southbound and we missed seeing the Cascades because it was dark. Luckiy the train wasn't too late, so we got to see the sunset over the Pacific. But if its really late, you'll miss it all going southbound.

Chris

Steve's Coast Starlight

I consider the Starlight one of the most scenic train rides in the world. Althought the north and southbound trains travel the same route, it is different in each direction--due to time of day, direction of travel, and other factors. On my Web site, I have (more or less) described the route from north to south, but eventually I want to do a northbound version, as it is different. My comments are based on traveling during the summer months and with the possibility of the trains' lateness--the Starlight does have a reputation for lateness. This is not to disparage the train for that but to use the lateness to advantage.

Southbound (leaving Seattle at 10am), you will be able to see more of the green, Western Washington valleys and Mount Rainier (on clear days--to the left); the ride along the Puget Sound (south of Tacoma--to the right) is my favorite part of the route between Seattle and Portland. Northbound, the train is supposed to arrive Seattle at 8:30pm--still plenty of light during the summer--but the train can be one or more hours late, making much of the journey between Portland and Seattle during darkness.

Southbound continuing: it is still daylight through the Willamette Valley and through the Oregon Cascades (even if the train is up to and hour or so late), but it is dark by the time the train gets to Klamath Falls. It is dark until about Roseville (northeast of Sacramento and where the Starlight route meets with the Zephyr/Overland route). It should remain light until at least Santa Barbara (even if the train is a couple of hours late); the ride along the Pacific Ocean at sunset should be stunning--to say the least. Northbound, you'll have daylight until at least Salinas (if the train is up to a couple of hours late). Daylight should be appearing again north of Redding (perhaps including Redding) and the train's crossing of the Redding Trestle and the snaking through the Sacramento River Canyon to Dunsmuir. The sun will probably be quite up by the time the train leaves Dunsmuir. The train snakes around and climbs along the flanks of Mount Shasta--and it is spectacular watching the sun com up and shower its (changing) light on the mountain--and as the train goes around, gets closer, goes farther away, the mountain takes on different shapes and shades of light, etc. Grass Lake (elevation 5,063 ft.) is the highest point on the route of the Coast Starlight. It will be daylight and scenic past Klamath Falls, descending the Cascades, and onto Portland (at least--usually).

Southbound--even during the darkness, you can sometimes follow the train's path by using the locomotive's headlight and the train's lights. The full moon will sometimes illuminate Mount Shasta.

This is all based on summer daylight averages; winter hours will have its own problems. Southbound, you should be on the right side (left side going north) of the train if you want to look at the water (Puget Sound, Columbia River, San Francisco Bay, Pacific Ocean), the left side (right side northbound) if you want to see the Cascade Mountains. Of course, there are usually nice things to see on both sides of the train, sometimes at the same time.

Thanks Steve for this wonderfully detailed description. Wife and I are now discussing whether it makes sense to fly from Detroit to LAX and fly back from Seattle just so we can take the Starlight.

Back