Ford Considers Buying Detroit's Central Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there is any indication that Ford is interested in using the building as an actual train station.
There was some discussion/informed speculation of Ford using the station as a commuter rail hub for its employees to travel between work and home, but I can’t remember how much of it was pie-in-the-sky and how much was serious reporting.
Ford - commuter rail - in the same sentence?

I don't think there is any indication that Ford is interested in using the building as an actual train station.
There was some discussion/informed speculation of Ford using the station as a commuter rail hub for its employees to travel between work and home, but I can’t remember how much of it was pie-in-the-sky and how much was serious reporting.
I'm not sure how that would work. They would need to charter a train or run their own train, and hope that it works well for employees. Just doesn't seem doable or logical to me...

I'm not sure how that would work. They would need to charter a train or run their own train, and hope that it works well for employees. Just doesn't seem doable or logical to me...
Ford might be thinking of tagging along with the proposed Ann Arbor to Detroit commuter rail, especially since the line would go right past the Ford complex in Dearborn. I'm not sure how possible it would be. It might be more feasible is Ford extends the Q Line from downtown to MCS, thus allowing the commuter trains to terminate there.

Ford - commuter rail - in the same sentence?
Maybe not commuter rail....but it wouldn't be the first time Ford operated a railroad...anyone recall the DT&I? Ford owned it from 1920 until 1929....
default_smile.png

Sadly, I cannot attend this, but perhaps some AU members might like to go:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/06/11/ford-moroun-detroit-train-station/689843002/

"Ford Motor Company cordially invites you to join us as we announce our plans for Michigan Central Station and Corktown. It will be a historic day for Detroit, the auto industry and the future of Ford — the start of a new era of innovation and mobility," [...]
"Please join Bill Ford, Jim Hackett and many of Detroit's creators, entrepreneurs, leaders and the community for a special celebration as we create tomorrow, together." [...]

Members of the general public are welcome to attend and onsite registration will be required. Ford has not confirmed whether the event will be held indoors or outdoors [...]. Check-in begins at 10 a.m., with the event starting at 11 a.m.
Address for GPS: 2001 15th St, Detroit, MI, 48216

Back