Fort Worth Amtrak Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

On the Google map, it looks as if you could easily walk from the station to the Fort Worth Omni hotel. Is that true, or is there some obstacle for doing that?

Thanks!

MJ

On the Google map, it looks as if you could easily walk from the station to the Fort Worth Omni hotel. Is that true, or is there some obstacle for doing that?
Thanks!

MJ
No, there is no obstacle. Just walk out from the Intermodal station and it is a quick walk to the hotel. The area is quite safe for walking too.

Omni Fort Worth is a gorgeous property. If it is within your budget I HIGHLY recommend a dinner at Bob's Steak & Chop House. If it's not, you need to go in for dessert, their Brownie Sundae is to die for.

Thanks for the info. The Omni would usually be beyond our budget, but our publisher is providing a couple of nights there and a dinner at Bob's Steak and Chops. We have one day with an open schedule. Any suggestions of things to see in the area? We won't have a car.

Also, last time we had a layover in Chicago, we had lunch at a nice little restaurant on an outside corner of Union Station. Anybody know what that might have been and if it's still there? There was no access to the station interior.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. The Omni would usually be beyond our budget, but our publisher is providing a couple of nights there and a dinner at Bob's Steak and Chops. We have one day with an open schedule. Any suggestions of things to see in the area? We won't have a car.
If you enjoy Beer the check out the Flying Saucer at 3rd and Commerce Kitty Korner to the Barnes and Noble. The chow is pretty good as well!

http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/fortworth/

You can take a ride on the Trinity Railway Express (TRE) from the same Fort Worth station all the way to Dallas Union Station. You would then have access to the DART (Dallas light rail) system.

The Stockyards are worth a Visit in Ft. Worth (No pun intended! :giggle: ), you can hop a City Bus @ the Intermodel (Amtrak/TRE/City Buses/Greyhound)Station. Lots of Western Stores, Souvenirs,Cafes,(Cattlemans is a Very Good Steakhouse) Bars and Clubs (Billy Bob's. Largest Honkey Tonk in the World! has a Rodeo Inside the Club!!! :eek: )and a Modernized Hotel (it was a Brothel back in the Wild West Days!)! Twice a Day they have Longhorn Cattle Run through the Streets and Stage Mock Gunfights between a Bad Guy and the Law! Its Touristy and Hokey but worth a Visit, it's why Ft, Worth is still called "Cowtown and "Gateway to the West!"

In Dallas the JFK Museum on Dealy Plaza (two Blocks from Union Station where Amtrak/TRE and DART Arrive/Depart) is certainly worthwhile! Ft. Worth is definitely more Laid Back and Friendly than Big D!

If the one open day you have is not a Sunday, here is my suggestion-

In the morning, take the Trinity Railway Express from Fort Worth to Dallas. The 6th Floor Museum (JFK assassination site) is right outside Dallas Union Station, and it is worth a one time visit, should be done in about two hours. Either lunch in Dallas, or take the TRE back to Fort Worth and have lunch in FTW. Then in the evening take the bus to Fort Worth Stockyards for the "Wild west" experience. There are rodeo shows at 6.30pm if I remember correctly on Fridays and Saturdays, and Longhorn cattle walk happens around 4pm I guess.

As was mentioned the Flying Saucer is one of my favorites in the area. They usually have live music on the weekend. I would also recommend Pete's Dueling Piano Bar on Houston Street. Great place for a cocktail and some fun too. Billy Bob's is definitely experience, check their calendar they bring in some great country artists (I saw Luke Bryan there with my girlfriend at the time). Great to hear you'll get to experience Bob's, you will never think of steak the same way afterwards.

If the one open day you have is not a Sunday, here is my suggestion-

In the morning, take the Trinity Railway Express from Fort Worth to Dallas. The 6th Floor Museum (JFK assassination site) is right outside Dallas Union Station, and it is worth a one time visit, should be done in about two hours. Either lunch in Dallas, or take the TRE back to Fort Worth and have lunch in FTW. Then in the evening take the bus to Fort Worth Stockyards for the "Wild west" experience. There are rodeo shows at 6.30pm if I remember correctly on Fridays and Saturdays, and Longhorn cattle walk happens around 4pm I guess.
uh ... go early to Dallas via TRE, visit the JFK, then AMTRAK back to FTW !!! Plenty of good Mexican food places in FTW ....

The city runs a nice free shuttle loop in downtown called Molly Trolly. It sops right at the Amtrak/Mulimodel station, goes to Sundance Square where several nice restaurants are located, down to the old T& P tower where the TRE train ends, right by the Omni and the Water Gardens, and back up to the Amtrak station.

The city runs a nice free shuttle loop in downtown called Molly Trolly. It sops right at the Amtrak/Mulimodel station, goes to Sundance Square where several nice restaurants are located, down to the old T& P tower where the TRE train ends, right by the Omni and the Water Gardens, and back up to the Amtrak station.
And it also runs to the above mentioned Stockyards where you can still see the daily cattle drive at 1pm(?) everyday. Due to recent budget cuts that didn't affect Molly it is still priced right. FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back