Forum is back online

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony

Founder
Honored Member
Dear members,

Two hard drives on our server failed at the same time at around 6pm Eastern, catching me completely off guard in the middle of a ton of classwork. Alan notified me the board wasn't working, and I spent the next 9 straight hours (without getting out of my chair) bringing it back online. I had a technician drive 30 miles to the data center where our web site is physically based, in order to diagnose the problem on-site. Once the problem had been stabilized, restoration was a painstaking process that involved me copying the forum database file by file to a backup server. We are currently running on this backup system, and I anticipate that within the next week or two, we will move back to a brand new server replacing the original one that has failed. So, there may be some limited downtime when that occurs, but I will give you notice. The benefit of that upgrade will be a faster processor, more memory and more disk space, which translates into a better forum experience for all.

As for me, I have two huge assignments due early on Thursday, and was planning on using this evening to work on them, so I don't know what I'm going to do about those now... but for the moment, the site is back online in a limited capacity. Some site features are offline (e.g., www.amtraktrains.com just redirects to the forum), but at least the discussions should be in their normal working order. I even brought back the email functionality so that people can continue to get email alerts and messages sent to them.

It's time for bed now, and I don't anticipate being very reachable at all tomorrow (Wednesday), but if another emergency occurs I will be on top of it. Keep your fingers crossed and thanks, as always, for your patience and support.

Good tidings,

Anthony

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to KISS_ALIVE for identifying something in the setup I had overlooked. I think we're OK now. Goodnight!!!

If anyone has trouble posting, please try to log out and then log back in using your username and password. Sometimes when new forum software is installed, the "cookie" needs to be reset, so do try that first. Additionally, there is a new procedure for Guest posts, in an effort to fight spam, and I think Alan will be explaining it later today. Thanks everyone!

Aloha and Mahalo

Just remember "Murphy" is an Optimist and your friend ... Anything can and will happen at the most in-opportune time. :rolleyes:

Wow quick work. Thanks for getting the forum back up and running. I did try to log in a couple of times last night and saw that it was down. Hope you can get caught up on everything else now!

I'm having trouble uploading an avatar. It's only 4K and meets the size requirements....is this related to the problem?

I'm having trouble uploading an avatar. It's only 4K and meets the size requirements....is this related to the problem?

Probably... what error do you get?
"The upload failed. Please contact a member of staff to help rectify the problem". It's a 4KB jpeg file....shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think.
And you're sure that the picture is 64X64 or smaller?
Yes, I resized it in Photoshop. 64 pixels high and 57 wide...72dpi...4KB. And it's not just one file...several I've tried all fail.

I didn't get a chance to grab the "profile" folder with those photos in it -- I did, however, make sure to save the avatars. Hopefully I can do it next week when the old server is brought back online for me to retrieve more stuff.

It's really unfortunate that this happened in the busiest part of the semester for me -- I'll be gone three weekends in November and everything is piling up beforehand. I'll do my best.

It's really unfortunate that this happened in the busiest part of the semester for me -- I'll be gone three weekends in November and everything is piling up beforehand. I'll do my best.
Mahalo Anthony

We can wait until you can do this, School must come first. Again Mahalo for all that you have one for us.

Aloha

Eric

too bad you can't bribe some buddy's with some free beer or FREE ROUND TRIP TICKETS ON AMTRAK LOL :D
I'm wide open to bribes involving train tickets and beer, and I happen to have the home number of Illinois governor Blagosumbitch.

I hear there's a Senate seat for sale.

Offers?
whats your problem its posts like that that make me think your out to get me on here. :rolleyes:

Back